Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-09-2014, 19:58   #1

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)
Gas smell on oil dipstick

Just bought a Bristol 29(1867), with a Gray Marine Sea Scout engine.

When the PO, showed me the boat, he also started the engine ... it started right up and ran strong.

He was going to show me the starting procedure, but never got around to it ... his wife is in latter stages of Alzhiemers(sp).

So, I fiddled around with the engine and FINALLY found that he used a second battery(1, both, off), to make power available to the starter and electronics ...or, at least, most electronics.

After trying to start it for a half-hour, it was decided that possibly no gas was getting to the engine.

I checked sparks ... all four plugs were firing.

But the plugs looked sooty ... not wet, just a velvety layer of soot ... all 4.

I also talked to a friend of the PO, that indicated that the PO, had flipped a switch on a panel before starting the engine some time ago. We(together), now think one of the switches labeled for "cabin", "bilge" or maybe "galley", might actually be for a retrofitted fuel pump, for what "might", be an inoperable mechanical fuel pump.

I wonder if gasoline, at any noticeable level, in the oil can be considered okay, or "par", for the course ... in some manner, in a marine engine?

I'd appreciate any thoughts...

Old 27-09-2014, 20:46   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
From you description I suggest you hire a mechanic before you try anything else. Gasoline engines in a boat can be very unforgiving if you don't know what you are doing.

Old 27-09-2014, 21:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: gas smell on oil dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I wonder if gasoline, at any noticeable level, in the oil can be considered okay, or "par", for the course ... in some manner, in a marine engine?
I learned the hard way that that the answer to that question is NO--especially if you see that the oil is higher than it should be on the dipstick. If the boat has mechanical fuel pumps, that means that the diaphragm in a fuel pump has failed, causing gas to drain into the crankcase.

When a fuel pump diaphragm fails in a car's gas engine, the gas just lands on the ground...but because it would land in the bilge of a boat, creating an explosion hazard, marine gas fuel systems are designed to send it into the crankcase, thinning the oil...and running the engine with thinned oil will cost you an engine.

I'd just had the oil changed in my own boat...when I saw it was high on the starboard dipstick the first time I took her out, I thought that my moonlighting mechanic had just overfilled that engine slightly. After about 30 minutes of running the boat, I saw that the oil pressure had dropped more than 50%...cut that engine and came home on one, but it was too late. $3500 for a rebuilt long block. That's when I learned that they give you owners manuals for engines for a good reason...if I'd read it, I'd have seen the warning not to run the boat in at least 4 places. I also learned that there are some jobs for which it's worth paying the yard...'cuz there's no recourse against a mooonlighte--who SHOULD have checked the dipsticks before he drained the oil. If he had, he'd have seen it was high on the starboard engine and known why. (It was more than 20 years ago, and I'm still seething about it!).

When I bought the next boat--a 20 yr old "project boat"--the first thing I did was replace both fuel pumps as cheap preventive maintenance!

This is WAAAY outside my area of professional expertise, but thought that my own personal experience was worth sharing. Your mileage may vary.

And btw, the above only applies to inboard gas engines. If we're talking about an outboard, you can ignore everything I'd said here.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 23:12   #4

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

SURV69,

The first thing to do with your new boat is to get a flashlight and trace the fuel line from the tank to the engine. If there is an extra fuel pump you'll find it a it had to be installed in a somewhat convenient spot, which is usually in the open somewhere. If you find it, trace the wiring back to the electric panel and see where it goes.

Now having said that, the lazy persons way of figuring it out is to just flip one switch at a time and see if you can hear a fuel pump give it's distinctive clacking buzz when you flip one of them. Still a good idea to give your fuel lines a visual check if you haven't done it before.

Quite often, a gasoline smell in the gas is just a normal phenomena that engines with some wear get, it is a result of combustion byproducts leaking past the rings. As PegHall mentions though, keep a sharp eye on the oil level and if it increases you need to figure out why and fix it ASAP.
Old 27-09-2014, 23:44   #5

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Maybe one switch that should be flipped a while before starting a gasoline engine would be the bilge blower. Recently a boat burned up in Monterey harbor. Gasoline tanks had been removed and the owner was disconnecting a battery. A spark ignited gasoline fumes.
Old 27-09-2014, 23:52   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

OP, good luck with figuring this one out! I'm glad that there are some forum members out there with more info than me/us, who are willing to share it.
And on that note: Good to know guys. I'll add this info to my "toolbox".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 01:24   #7

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

oh .... did I forget to mention.... this boat only has a forced natural flow engine compartment ventilator. A later model has an electric(?), or motorized ventilator plus the forced natural flow ventilator.

I'm working on this one too, but for now, it's all the hatches open and the smell test.

This is a 1967 Bristol 29. I think the fan blower was an option in 1968. ????
Old 28-09-2014, 03:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
oh .... did I forget to mention.... this boat only has a forced natural flow engine compartment ventilator. A later model has an electric(?), or motorized ventilator plus the forced natural flow ventilator.

I'm working on this one too, but for now, it's all the hatches open and the smell test.

This is a 1967 Bristol 29. I think the fan blower was an option in 1968. ????
I have had petrol engines crank case's fill up with fuel before when I forgot to turn off the electric fuel pump!
Old 28-09-2014, 10:54   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Just bought a Bristol 29(1867), with a Gray Marine Sea Scout engine.

When the PO, showed me the boat, he also started the engine ... it started right up and ran strong.

He was going to show me the starting procedure, but never got around to it ... his wife is in latter stages of Alzhiemers(sp).

So, I fiddled around with the engine and FINALLY found that he used a second battery(1, both, off), to make power available to the starter and electronics ...or, at least, most electronics.

After trying to start it for a half-hour, it was decided that possibly no gas was getting to the engine.

I checked sparks ... all four plugs were firing.

But the plugs looked sooty ... not wet, just a velvety layer of soot ... all 4.

I also talked to a friend of the PO, that indicated that the PO, had flipped a switch on a panel before starting the engine some time ago. We(together), now think one of the switches labeled for "cabin", "bilge" or maybe "galley", might actually be for a retrofitted fuel pump, for what "might", be an inoperable mechanical fuel pump.

I'd appreciate any thoughts...
Quick answer no . No NO if it is discernable by odor on the dip stick.
Old 28-09-2014, 10:59   #10

Many years ago I had that same problem with a Yanmar YSE12. That turned out to be the fuel injection pump. Repair was very expensive, but the alternative fuel in my oil was an unacceptable alternative.

Although that corrected the problem, I eventually replaced that engine several years after, with a new Yanmar 2GM20.

Tags
oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: