Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 16:50   #76

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Re: Gas in Diesel - help!!

If the motor starts well, has good power, and doesn't use more oil than before, you are good to go. Don't give it another thought! Sail on!
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:10   #77

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Glad to hear it went OK. I did the same thing with my Chrysler Grand Voyager, twise. Have now done another 65,000 miles since. I bet the marina were pleased too.

Just one thought the overheating would be if the thermostat is stuck shut. Normally they stick open. Look at the thermostat check its shut and then dunk it in just boiled water. If it opens its normal. If not you know for certain that was the cause, I find unless I double prove the cure I always have a doubt in my mind. Prove its OK and prove what did it.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:30   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

RE running hotter on gasoline.
It won't. Reason is its the expansion of air from heat, not an explosion is what drives internal combustion engines. If there were more heat in the combustion chamber, more power and therefore RPM would have been produced, if that happens then the governor will reduce fuel until the power made equals power demanded by the governor.
People think the same thing about burning Avgas in a Pt-6 turbine engine, you are restricted to 50 hours and people think its due to heat, but its actually due to lead in the fuel building up on the turbine blades, heat is the same.

However you did suffer some additional wear in your fuel injection system, it obviously didn't kill it, but gasoline is an awfully "dry" fuel and not as good a lubricant as Diesel.
Hopefully of course it wasn't enough to matter.
Myself I would want to have the injection pump and injectors overhauled some time in the future during a scheduled down time. This is a good idea for a mid time engine anyway, you catch worn parts and replace them before you have to buy a new pump etc., think of it as preventative maintenance. Of course if the parts are perfect, then your out just a little labor to disassemble, clean, inspect and reassemble.
Just my opinion.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:20   #79

Glad it turned out well. Diesels are generally much tougher than some people on this thread imply.

I agree with A64Pilot that one future concern should be the lubrication of the injection pump and injectors. Could be some wear affecting the tolerances in those, but even replacement would not necessitate removal of the engine.

Dodged a bullet, my friend!
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:33   #80

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Glad to hear of the positive outcome. Thanks for taking the time for the feedback.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:52   #81

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Nice to hear the resolution. And as is often the case, not nearly as bad as many here predict.

Tags
diesel