Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 16:44   #1

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Gas in Diesel

Need help. Long story short, I just added (by accident) 10 gallons of gasoline to my 45 gallon diesel tank. The tank is topped off so I now have a 20% gasoline solution. Question is, how do I remedy this problem? Can I run the engine with this mix? Do I need to get towed somewhere (in Key West) and have the tank pumped out and refueled? I can't believe I am the only one that has made this mistake so there should be some expert advice out there. Don't fail me forum.
I was hoping to make Titusville for the shuttle launch so time is of the essence.
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 16:54   #2

Re: Gas in diesel

I'd drain the tank. I know some people who add a gallon of gas to a diesel tank but really, it's probably not a great idea. For the cost of draining a tank (just fuel disposal costs of less than $20 if you do it yourself) you can save yourself potentially an engine.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 17:05   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

It was a practice for some truckers in the colder climates to add a gallon of gas to 100 gal diesel tank. Some say it made for easier starting. 20% however I think is a bit too high. I would empty it out and sell it to someone using a diesel heater. The gas will just make it run a bit hotter, which shouldn't ruin anything. I run Kerosene through mine to decarbon it. If you were close by I would buy it off you. Or you could keep it and re introduce it to your diesel in small quantities.
Old 21-04-2011, 17:25   #4

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

I would add a quart or two oil to the tank and burn it thru. I found that in the Chesapeake the disposel cost is much higher than the new fuel cost. So you are at about 12$/gal on a refill. But the cost is not the basic issue. Provide lubricosity and burn it.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 17:33   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

One thing that diesel fuel does is lubricate internal parts, especially in the injector pump. diluting it 20% risks internal damage, and it may not even run on that mix. . I know that a if you run straight gas into a diesel, it will usually just stop running because the injector pump can't build the correct pressures needed. It's such a small amount, why not get rid of it.
Old 21-04-2011, 17:38   #6
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

This is very common, put the wrong fuel in the wrong tank. Also there is the water in the fuel tank, water in the holding tank and even gasoline in a rod holder.

Too bad you're not in St Petersburg.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Please don't start the engine.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:50   #8

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

Thanks for all the quick responses. Looks like I need to get the tank pumped out and refilled with diesel. Hope I can find someone who will do this in the Key West area.
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:58   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Thanks for all the quick responses. Looks like I need to get the tank pumped out and refilled with diesel. Hope I can find someone who will do this in the Key West area.
Get a pump and some jerry cans.
Old 21-04-2011, 19:28   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Do Not pay to get rid of it. There are plenty of people out there that can use it. Or you could just store it yourself and every time you fill your tank just add 2-1/2 gl. of this stuff. Like said above some one with a diesel heater or a farmers smudge pot would probably buy it.

Right now it's at 22% (45/10), so it is pretty flammable. Do be carful handling it and avoid breathing the fumes. No sparks when pumping it out, that includes motors. A diaphragm pump like a Whale hand pump would be best.
Old 22-04-2011, 04:53   #11

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35

Like most above say, pump it out, then add it back to anything that uses fuel slowly, a gallon per fill up on the boat or your car, if you have/know someone with an old car without a cat you can add more to it,
Lawnmower love it too at about 75% gas 25% diesel, they'll smoke just a bit but that just drives the bugs away too
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:48   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Gas in Diesel

I've run 20 to 30% with no ill effects in a Nissan Diesel Pickup. Service station attendant didn't know what he was doing and put a few gallons of regular gas in the truck before I caught him. It ran just fine. Every time I got room enough in the tank I'd add a few gallons of diesel though just to keep the percentage of diesel to gas increasing.
By all means don't give away the fuel from your tank. Save it in drums until you get a couple gallons low then add a bit of your mixed fuel every other fill up until you've used it up.
kind regards,

Tags
diesel