Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 08:05   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Gas Engine for light cruising

My Pearson 30 has an Atomic 4 gas engine, very reliable. 20 gallon fuel tank provides 100 mile range. Is this cruising range adequate for say the Bahamas and coastal cruising in general?
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:33   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Gas Engine for light cruising

I would think so. The boat should sail fairly well, and thousands of boats have been there before with the atomic four.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:18   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

You can always carry more fuel for longer passages, say for the hop to the Bahamas specifically and other situations where you may not be able to refuel. Two five gallon jerry jugs would obviously extend your range by 50%.

That said, be careful how you store them when full given the volatility of gasoline vs. diesel. Personally I would store them on deck, although I generally don't like doing that with diesel jugs for safety reasons in heavier weather.

To refuel on the go, siphon don't pour.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 15:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can't see why not, lots of people drive long distances with gasoline engines.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 16:02   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

A 100 mile range would worry me so I would carry extra fuel. You should be careful with gasoline. Store it on deck, not below.
Old 16-10-2016, 17:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The longest I've had to power in more than 10,000 miles of cruising is 36 hours at 5k and I could have sailed that only quite slowly. Have only been totally becalmed once in the doldrums and and powering for 24 hours at 5k found wind. 100 mile range would work for me if I had a couple of Gerry jugs in addition.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 17:18   #7

I don't know that 100 mile range is enough but many people carry jerry cans on deck. Or adding a fuel tank isnt hard.
It would be a real PITA to plan around needing to get fuel constantly. Motor across the gulf stream? Better find fuel fast! etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Think about this Robyn Graham sailed 3/4 of the way around the world with a gasoline engine .
Also boats identical to mine have sailed from California around south america to England. With a gasoline outboard .so I see no issue with you doing it.
Old 17-10-2016, 08:06   #9

Boat: 55 fleming

Depends on how much sailing vs motor sailing vs motoring you do. 2 or 4 5gal Jerry cans might be in order. The occasional person will cruse with no engine by playing the weather current and tides and calling for a tow on occasion.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:08   #10

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

100 mile range is surely sufficient for any cruising in the Bahamas - but may not be enough for a crossing to/from Florida in adverse winds or no winds. I'd carry extra jugs on deck for the crossing and empty then into the tank after arrival in the Bahamas.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:57   #11

nowadays very few inboard engines are gasoline.
In fact during the time my boating was on a trawler I never met a single person using gasoline. When evaluating and infrequent risk one must keep in mind the severity of the consequence of the risk.
People go to great trouble to protect themselves from propane as they should, but keep in mind that the density of gasoline fumes is 4 times the density of propane.
If you do choose gasoline, which if your boat has a gasoline engine you are locked into, have a good system of blowers to run prior to turning on the engine.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:25   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Under no circumstances would I ever store gas below decks. But then I come from Europe where the idea of a gas powered sailing boat would be so mad as to be unsalable.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:39   #13

Boat: Tartan30

I sail a Tartan30 with an Atomic 4.
I have 4 what I call "low profile" plastic gas cans that fit perfectly between the hand rails on the cabin top. I lash them there, covered with the silver reflective things most folks use to keep the sum out of their car windows. A little sturdier than a Space Blanket and very cheap to buy and replace.
I have one of those shaker type syphon hoses that will reach all the containers, so I don't even have to unlash them to refuel. That is for long trips, OR when I am in an area where I just want to bypass the stupidly expensive gas prices.
When I go to the boat I have a NON MARINA source for LEADED GAS that the old Atomic 4 likes better.
I make sure to leave a little room in the plastic containers to allow for expansion from the heat.
I am always a little amused by all the FEAR about gasoline powered boats..Something like 85% of ALL boats are gasoline powered. It's like many other things has it's dangers but I believe good Seamanship including a good safety routine of ALWAYS doing a SNIFF TEST then running the BLOWERS for a full 5 minutes, as well as doing a pre trip and periodic en route visual check makes gasoline engines very practical.
If I store my empty containers I leave them on deck, with lids off to evaporate anything that might be in the container.
I have a carbon monoxide detector, and one of these days on this boat or a future one I hope to have a "sniffer" for other fumes.
As a young "Rescue Man" one of the very first calls I went on was on Vieques Island off Puerto Rico, where 4 men were on board a boat where 400 gallons of gasoline exploded. The effort to prevent the burning boat from drifting into the marina was tremendous but we pulled it off.
The recovery of body parts was very gruesome so I am very aware of the dangers of gasoline if not properly handled.
I also am very careful about using the proper colored containers for the fluids they contain.
It's going to be a great trip!!!! Gas up and GO!!!!!
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:49   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
When I go to the boat I have a NON MARINA source for LEADED GAS that the old Atomic 4 likes better.

Where do you find this?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 10:05   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
nowadays very few inboard engines are gasoline.......................
That is not at all true. Not even close.

Tags
cruising, engine