Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 12:10   #1

Fuel Tank Attachment

Hello,

Recently I have been running out of diesel a lot sooner then I should be. Then I get to a fuel dock, fill up and only end up putting half my tank capacity in.
I believe that the spout in the tank which sucks up the diesel is broken half way up, or has a crack and at that point lets air in.

So I have been trying to get that part of the fuel tank line out. Problem is I have never seen an attachment like this before. The fuel return line, is attached just with a hose on the plastic spout and then a hose clamp.
This one has a metal cup on top of the plastic spout. I have tried spinning it and had no luck, I have tried twisting back and forth and pulling up with no luck. Could it be a one time on deal? It sucks only being able to use ~30L of a 90L tank!

Thanks,
Andrew

let me know if the picture does not load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG398.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	111675  
ap.thoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:18   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Fuel Tank Attachment

There should be two lines to your tank. The fuel pickup and the fuel return. While an excellent photo, another showing both lines would be nice. Your idea of a crack in the pickup is possible, you may have a fuel pump problem. Is the fuel pump mechanical or electric?

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:27   #3

Its an yanmar 3HM mechanical pump and all seals and such seem to be good with that that I know of.
This is the fuel pickup line, I did not take a picture of the return line, for I feel this would have no effect on the system. It just drops the fuel bank into the tank.

In the picture, the little black line on the bottom is only a zap strap used to hold a wire in place. Its a plastic tank, with a smooth spout and that metal somehow attached.
Old 27-10-2015, 12:48   #4

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

I had the same problem with a tempo plastic tank. the tube for the fuel return did not go to the bottom of the tank. when the fuel level got bellow the tube it would cause air in the fuel tank and act like I had just ran out of fuel. Took me a while to figure it out.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:51   #5

You mean your fuel pick up line?
If so, what did you end up doing to solve it? Similar attachment?
Old 27-10-2015, 13:55   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The photo is too poorly focused and composed to be of much use. How about trying that again? Specifically we want to see what the fitting and interface look like.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:51   #7

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

No it was the fuel return. When motoring with the fuel level around half a tank I the motor would stop like it had ran out of fuel. I would need to switch tanks and bleed the system. Drove me crazy. Both tanks would do this.
I was going to replace both tanks. I pulled them out and removed the sending unit when I discovered the return dip tube was only a few inches long. It was close to the fuel pick up. My theory was that as the fuel fell back into the tank it would cause air bubbles. I went to a local industrial hose and fitting suplier and purchased a two part fitting. Moved the hole farther from the pickup. Installed the fitting by snaking it in from the sending unit hole. New tube goes within one inch of tank bottom. Now I can run tank almost dry.
When I bought the tempo tanks they did not have return fitting so dealer said " no problem we will install one".
After much head banging they now work.
My tanks have the same pickup fitting as your's. I thought it was a pickup tube problem also and was just going to have new aluminium tanks made. Glad I looked inside.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 20:06   #8

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I have seen a faulty lift pump cause the same issue. Worked fine until no longer had siphon assistance the seemed to run out of fuel.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 30-10-2015, 16:09   #9

Very interesting!

That would have been a hard one to figure out, never would have thought of that. I will check my return line, but mine is about a foot and a half away from the pick up line, so I doubt that is the issue.

Also anyway to test to see if it is the lift pump?

My plan of attack is to install an inspection hole in the tank, and drill a hole in the lid and install a copper line into the tank as the new pick up, compression fitting to fuel line.

Hopefully that fixes the problem, and then with the inspection hole I can actually see whats going on in there.
Old 30-10-2015, 16:15   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

This is what you want for an access plate.
http://www.downwindmarine.com/images/P/91002326.jpg

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 19:22   #11

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Buy or borrow an electric fuel pump. Hook it up to ur pick up line to confirm volume from pick up line. It is also handy when priming. Leave it inline and powered on and run ur engine. If engine dies 15-20 minutes after u disconnect power to pump suspect lift pump.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, men