Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 14:19   #1

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
Fuel Sending Unit

This next month's project is to possibly install a fuel sending unit in my metal diesel tank.

Currently, I am using a stick. The only holes/fittings currently in the tank are for the breather, return, and fill. In order to install the sender, I will most likely have to cut a hole in the top of the tank.

Is this feasible without causing more problems than it is worth?

One idea that I had was to use a 1.5 inch NPT diesel deck fill and instead of using the cap, to use a sender with a 1.5 inch NPT flange. I can do this since the current fitting, short fuel hose, and tank are in line. Of course, this would mean electrically disconnecting the sender whenever I needed to fill the tank. It would also mean a small inaccuracy due to the top of the float actually being at the level of the fitting rather than at the top of the tank.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 15:40   #2

Boat: KP 44
fuel gauge

We instaled a Hart Tank Tender several years ago and it has been wonderful. Very small hole, about 1/8" and very accurate. We purchased a 2 tank system so we could monitor our water usage as well.
Never thought I would spend that much for a gauge but its worth every penny.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 17:55   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I am with Slacker on this one. The Hart Tank Tender requires no power and the intallation is pretty easy. It is a drill and tap of a very small hole.I think the thread is a 10-32. I use a four tank model. 2 fuels , water, and waste. It measures by back pressure caused by height of the liquid. A few strokes of a small hand pump and you know your tank level.
Old 30-03-2009, 22:25   #4
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
Wema WEMA USA, Inc. Home Page - Boat fuel, water and holding tank level sensors and related instruments is the largest maker of fuel tank senders for boats. But if you would rather not cut a hole in the tank you can get gauges that attach to the outside of the tank and sense the fluid level inside the tank. try Tek-tanks Tek-Tanks - Custom made or standard fit water, waste and fuel tanks These aren't cheap but they solve the problem of having to cut holes in your tank
Old 30-03-2009, 22:51   #5

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I use Wema also, and was lucky enough to have aluminum inspection plates on the tops of my tanks so the retrofit was easy with a hole saw. Interface with Maretron TLA100 is easy. These sensors are infinitely nicer than those old swing-arm things.

I have a 4-channel Tank Tender, which looks at my water tanks, and the clean/dirty oil tanks in the oil-changing system. Works very well, and would be fine for diesel... though for that, I do prefer an at-a-glance display. The NMEA2000 network lets me see it from anywhere (I got rid of the icky gauge and tank-select pushbuttons that came with the boat).

Steve
Old 31-03-2009, 06:56   #6

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
Thanks for the input so far, please keep it coming.

The tank is metal, so I can't use the sensors that tape to the outside.

While I am sure the pneumatic system works fine, I already have a WEMA gauge on my holding tank and am pleased with its performance. I had planned on using another if I can figure out the sender issue.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel