Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 02:43   #1

Fuel problem with volvo TAMD31P

Hi everyone and new to forum and hope you can help. I have twin TAMD 31P's in a Blackfin 30 ft. I had recent fuel contamination and cleaned tank, fuel and new filters. Now one engine runs ok and the other will accelerate to full rpm then, quickly dies putting out black smoke and runs at 2500 rpm. If I bring that engine back to idle and accelerate again it will run up to 3000rpm and run ok. If I exceed the 3000rpm it dies again back to 2500 rpm and black smoke. If I reduce the throttle, the black smoke goes away , but it will not go more than 2500rpm unless I go back to idle and accelerate again.
I suspect a full flow issue- I checked fuel lines for flow and new filters. I have primary Raco 500 series filter and water separator. Any ideas please. Boat is clean and props good. Many thanks Robk
Robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 04:56   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Fuel problem with volvo TAMD31P

Fuel system leaks are difficult to diagnose. The leak could be anywhere. I would splice a small length of clear tubing temporarily in the line near the fuel injection pump. Then run it up (under load) and look for bubbles. If you find bubbles then at least you have a way of determining when you have found the leak.

Tighten all connections, fuel filters, Racor gaskets, etc. Your problem is somewhere between the tank and the tubing ;-).

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 04:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Fuel problem with volvo TAMD31P

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robk.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31   #4

Talking Re: Fuel problem with volvo TAMD31P

Hi everyone, I was given advice that the fuel injection pump,and fuel pump were unlikely candidates. So I went back from the fuel pump and checked by hand all fuel lines and the racor FG 500 fuel filter. I purchased a racor service kit as well. After disassembling the racor I found the O ring between the fuel bowl and housing had deteriorated. The new O ring seal was almost twice the thickness of the old one. The glass bowl mated nicely on the seal. Bingo- on the sea trial, the engine was perfect. The problem- a leaking racor housing under vacuum. Perhaps keep an eye on your filter systems for seal deterioration. Hope this helps any others with similar problems. Regards Rob K
Robk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, volvo