Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2008, 12:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Fuel Priming Pump

There has been much discussion on the forum about adding an electrical pump or squeeze bulb in the fuel line in order to fill the filter and prime the fuel system. I just read about an alternative that may be of use to our forum members. It is a hand pump built just for this purpose by Separ.

http://www.separfilter.com
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 12:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Where on the website is what you describe?

"Separ Filters remove 99.9% of the free water and solid contaminants found in diesel fuel" Shouldn't they remove all the water?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 13:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

David, I couldn't find it on the website either. Saw a picture of it and a description in the June PassageMaker. Just called a "Hand Priming Pump".
Old 24-05-2008, 13:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hmmm. I think either an electric or a hand crank priming pump are both great ideas. What a PITA it is to use those near worthless priming pumps on the engine that pull instead of push. My new Cummins engines came standard with an electric priming pump, it is such a good idea.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 14:43   #5

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
When I got my boat it had an electric fuel pump (diesel) between the tank and fuel filter. It ran whenever the engine was running. I put a switch in the line so I could turn it on only when bleeding the system. It works great for bleeding. It's not needed for normal operation.
It's also a safety item. If your filter gets glogged and the engine starts to die, turn on the pump and it will get you home!
I turn it on if I have to motor thru a cut and wind and or tide are against me, just to be sure the motor gets fuel.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 15:29   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, all of this has been discussed many times on this forum. The reason for the post was to inform members of a new product that may be of interest to them.
Old 29-05-2008, 17:27   #7

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Where on the website is what you describe?
The link is on the bottom of the Separ page: http://www.reversopumps.com/
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:19   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
I can't find the hand pump either. I see the electric priming pump but that is it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:25   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It's also a safety item. If your filter gets glogged and the engine starts to die, turn on the pump and it will get you home!
Actually not. When the filter is that bad nothing helps but a clean filter.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:41   #10

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Maybe your pump isn't up to it. The elec. pump I use has pushed fuel thru a filter that was restricting flow enough to effect engine performance. Numerous times.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The only time I've had the problem nothing would have helped. When we purchased the boat in DE the owner never really used the engine a,d heated it all winter. But they didn't have it on electric heaytt as the reverse cycel would not work well enough in DE. They used the deisel heater. That works but if you leave for work you can't leave it on and so the daily cycle of temp changes grew a monster crop of algea from the condensation in the tank. That set us up for a seriously clogged filter bringing the boat home. When we took the filter apart it was almost solid with what looked like cookies crumbs (dead algea). The fuel tank was pretty bad too. I've never changed a filter any other time that showed much of anything in it before or since.

In cold climates where the boat stays in the water or hauled out on the hard (like when it's for sale) I would survey the fuel tank when buying a boat. You can generally clean it with a filter service or just drain it and dispose of it. Finding out on the trip home isn't a good time given you don't really know the boat that well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump