Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2015, 06:57   #1

Boat: Airon Marine, 4300 T-Top
Fuel Polisher

Men,

After a fiasco at sea and not considering the maintenance of my fuel system as a top priority I suffered through an embarrassing and PREVENTABLE mechanical issue.

I had the tank pumped, filled with new diesel and when I reached home, had the tank polished and "cleaned." Given the limited access, I'll assume they did the best they could with the flexible wands, etc., etc.

Anywho, that was then, this is now. I installed a Racor P510MAM fuel polishing system with an automatic timer immediately after the fuel tank cleaning. The P510 is rated at 72 GPH and I have roughly a 237 gallon tank. I run it about 3 days a week for 3 hours at a time.

I recently took a peek at the filtering system and she was spotless and no water. However, after running the boat, my fuel filters had a bit of gunk/slime in them.

I've piped the P510 into the same dip tube that my port engine draws from so I can only assume its near the bottom of the fuel tank. My question is whether the fuel pump on my engine (Volvo Penta D6 IPS) has more "suction" and therefore draws the particles up? Was not a large amount, but my fuel polishing filter was pristine.

Any thoughts.... greatly appreciated!

Best,

Marc

Old 05-08-2015, 08:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Fuel Polisher

More likely the fuel getting sloshed around loosened up some more gunk. Is your tank baffled and do you have access to each chamber? If not there may be more surprises. I very much doubt that your engine pumps more than 72 gph.

By the way, specs on that system say 60 gph but that is probably at 0 ft. of head.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:49   #3

Boat: Airon Marine, 4300 T-Top

DeepFrz,

Good point! I'm going to monitor it and continue to treat with biocides. I've ordered a few diesel fuel test kits to see if the levels of gunk stay static or move.

LESSON LEARNED!
Old 06-08-2015, 13:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Are you running bio diesel? Bio diesel acts like a solvent in above 30% mixes. A ferry operator went to 100% bio and made it half way across the sound.
My current boat had sat 6 years when I bought it. I added algae-x and diluted the old fuel about 50% with some new diesel and had no problems. Changed filters before sea trials. No problems. A couple years later I opened the tanks - and went inside. The tanks were clean from the normal circulation. My mains circulate about 70 gallons an hour.
I have been on the water and using diesels for longer than most of you have been alive. I have run military, commercial and large pleasure craft. I usually did the mechanical work so had an interest in not having problems. I have never seen the need for fuel polishing beyond what normal good filtering systems and fuel additives will do.

Tags
fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: