Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2010, 17:17   #1

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
Fuel Leak at the Fuel Pump

I have a Volvo-Penta MD2 (2 cylinder diesel) which is pretty darn old (1980's ?) but runs pretty nicely. I have a fuel leak that drips about 1 drop every six seconds right off the bottom of the fuel pump (pump is attached to the engine and is mechanical). A new fuel pump costs about $275. I can capture the leaked fuel pretty easily and put it back in the fuel tank but I'm wondering if there is another reason to make this repair. Thanks

-tavis
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 17:20   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If the engine runs ok then the fuel pump is working well. You might just want to change a gasket? Let's see what the experts say.
regards,
Old 14-05-2010, 17:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Did you try tightening the bolts that hold the fuel pump to the engine?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 17:34   #4

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Assuming it is not leaking where the fuel line connects, the most probable fault is that the pump diaphragm is on the way out. If you can get another diaphragm, it should be a cheap fix. Try taking the pump to a good auto parts shop and you may get the parts cheaper than from Volvo. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 17:47   #5

Boat: C&C 34
Do the right thing...

Buying engine parts at an auto part store may not be a wise decision. I see that you are from the USA and anything you buy at an auto part store will most likely not be Coast Guard approved even if it the exact same part.

If it failed and caused big problem you could have issues with an insurance claim or worse.

In general marine parts are not that much more money. Just do it right.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 18:11   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Could you show me a "Coast Guard Approved" mechanical fuel pump for a Volvo engine?
Old 14-05-2010, 19:17   #7

In a way you are right, the Coast Guard does not actually approve a part. The manufacture certifies that the boat or engine complies with current Coast Guard safety regulations. Which means all parts meet current regulations.

I know this is a little dated, but look at the bottom of page three of this link and read about the fuel valves.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pdf/recalls/BSC71.pdf

This one is a little dated also, but more good info:

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pd...an64d.pdf#auto

Here is a excerpt from the USCG safety site.

BOATBUILDER'S HANDBOOK
Equipment Standards

FEDERAL LAW
183.524 - Fuel pumps
(a) Each diaphragm pump must not leak fuel from the pump if the primary diaphragm fails.

A diaphragm pump is the usual type of fuel pump found on marine engines. This requirement calls for means to prevent fuel from leaking into the interior of the boat or into the bilge if the main diaphragm fails. Some means presently used to accomplish this are:
  • A second diaphragm with a means of identifying failure of the primary diaphragm, such as a sight glass bowl, and
  • A sealed fuel pump hosing connected to the crankcase or equipped with a stripper tube connected to the carburetor.
Automotive fuel pumps are vented. In a vehicle, fuel leaking from a ruptured diaphragm falls harmlessly on the ground; in a boat, this type of pump would allow leaking fuel to accumulate in the bilge.

Here is a link from the Volvo Penta marine web site for the parts

Feed Pump: 833323 - Volvo Penta

Looks like you will need a whole pump. The volvo site does not even show a part # for the diaphragm.

You could buy the part from an auto store, or even make your own as long as it is manufactured to USCG standards, but why? Just buy the right part.
Old 14-05-2010, 19:49   #8

Boat: Piver Victress 40 - Windhook
thanks for the replies. I will order the repair kit and see if that solves the issue.
dubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 19:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well now if the engine was a gasoline engine I could understand your concern. The safety information in the links you provided were referring specifically to gasoline powered boat engines and the "accumulation of explosive fumes".
Old 15-05-2010, 12:40   #10

Red face

So you are saying that its OK for diesel to spill into the bilge?

When the manufacturer certified the boat as meeting Coast Guard regulations that means that all of the parts meet regulations. If the manufacturer used a fuel pump from Autozone then they are saying that the parts meets regulation.

You are free to put any part you want on your boat, but it must meet regulations. If you want to spend all your free time going thru the CFRs to save a few bucks.

Old 15-05-2010, 12:52   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I know everyone is cautious here about regulations and liability and lawyers but to make a point, I put anything I damn well please on my boat. I am responsible and there might be consequences but it is my boat, not the Coast Guard's.
regards,
Old 15-05-2010, 13:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I am responsible and there might be consequences but it is my boat, not the Coast Guard's.
That is true you are responsible to comply with the regulations. If you buy a part and believe it meets the regulations then by all means install it.

The problem comes if something goes wrong and then once again you are responsible. If the part is approved or original equipment then the liability falls elsewhere.
Old 15-05-2010, 14:06   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Opie91, you are just plain wrong on this.
Old 15-05-2010, 15:14   #14

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Just take your pump, diaphragm and seals to a parts shop, and ask, "have you got one of these?" If they do, then it will be just as good as an original part. The whole 'marine parts' fiction has been generated by those honest sales executives whose job it is to part your from your hard earned cash.
If a diaphragm lift pump's diaphragm springs a leak, there are two places for the diesel to go. If you are lucky, it will trickle out of the bottom of the pump, and thereby alert you to the problem. If the pump is not externally vented, it will silently fill your engine's sump with diesel , and the whole operation may grind to a halt. The latter possibility is much more dangerous than the former.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 16:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Opie91, you are just plain wrong on this.
Ok, you have your opinion and you think you are right. I believe that my view is correct. Maybe it is somewhere in the middle.

Tags
fuel, fuel pump