Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 17:41   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Fuel Inspection Ports

Hello All:
After reading thru these threads I have come to the conslusion that I need inspection ports on my fuel tanks. I want to put them where I can reach them w/o tearing apart any cabinet work to get to them and I want one in each baffle placed so that I can scrub the tanks if needed. Is it best to: 1) buy these inspection ports (and if so where) 2) make my own (can any one explain how they did it?) or 3) something else? Oh yes I have aluminum tanks. 2 -- 35 gallon tanks.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 18:52   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Hi Charlie, what makes you think you need inspection port's????

If it is diesel bug, maybe just a quality fuel scrubber/filtration system will suffice.

Don't get me wrong, I have port's on my tank's, but now think keeping the fuel clean in the firstplace will be a better thing.

Dave
Old 27-05-2007, 19:12   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Charlie, You are on the right track. No matter how hard you try, stuff is going to build up in your tank. Tank cleaning should be a regular scheduled maintenance but most don't do it until there is a problem. I have never seen pre-made ports. We had them put in our tank when we had a new tank made. This would mean your tank need to be emptied, holes cut and the fasteners installed and then plates with gaskets. You can empty the tank into jugs or barrels then pour it back in when the job is complete. Sounds like a lot but it isn't.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 19:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My inspection ports....

I have several "inspection ports" on my two 220 litre aluminium tanks.

They are just aluminium plate bolted to the top using stainless steel machine screws taped into the aluminium of the tank.

I had a fuel filler cap welded to a plate on each of my tanks so I can check the fuel levels.

I had a look inside the tanks when I took the plates off. All I could see were aluminium shavings from where the tank had been made.

If your tanks are made of thick aluminium then it would be very difficult to cut in place. I ended up using a hole saw and a drill press. The big holes need a very low speed.

If you have a look at my blog from a few months ago you will get some idea of what I have.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel