Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2013, 07:48   #1

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch /1970
Fuel Injector Repair Hell

I earlier posted on whether to try repairing a leak in the throttle housing arm on a 4-107 perkins. I decided it was better to send it in for repair and have the rubber seals replaced with nitrol and totally rebuilt.

When I got the rebuilt fuel pump back and installed I found that it leaked at the base of the throttle housing arm. The company that repaired the pump specializes in fuel pumps. They advised me to to tighten the two bolts on top of the housing. This of course meant taking out the heat exchanger/ hoses, etc. and dropping the pump down so as to get to these bolts. The grief this second removal caused went on for hours. Trying to get the two bolts and gasket aligned on the heat exchanger while at the same time slide two hoses on is challenge I would not want to face again. In the process one of the copper pipes (to hose) on the heat exchanger was cracked at the solder joint and had to be repaired. After tightening the two bolts on the top of the housing it seems to have fixed the leak. I sent the check for full payment yesterday morning. Later yesterday I took the boat out and noticed that there was a very slow fuel leak ( a drop every 30 sec or so) coming from the bottom of the fuel pump from two separate places which I had not noticed previously. Until I can understand what is going on here I stopped payment of the check.
I now face the prospect of tracking down the leaks (using a mirror and finger tip probe) and then removing the heat exchanger once more to get to the fuel pump and tighten the offending banjo connections - if that is what it is. At this point I would sooner walk on hot coals.
Of course I could have sent the fuel pump back to the company. But it seemed a lot easier to just tighten the bolts myself as they advised. The company also claimed they tested the fuel pump for leaks before shipping. If so I am puzzeled by the results and their advice to tighten the bolts on the throttle housing. I will have to once more remove the fuel pump. I have lost any faith I had in the company and I am considering sending it to another company such as Oregon Pump for a total rebuild once more. Any advice would be appreciated. Starboardtack

Old 13-06-2013, 08:31   #2

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Re: Fuel injector repair hell

I for one feel your pain. I also have a 4107. I had injector pump, head and injectors rebuilt last year about this time due to oil volume building in engine and oil analysis showed it to be diesel. Got back and re-installed last year and all seemed fine. When I check oil level at start of season I was shocked to see it very high. Drained oil and replaced and filled to the mark. I see no volume build if I run daily but after it sat for a week level was up about quarter inch. Called re-builder he said seal could be leaking but unlikely. I see another injector pump removal in my future. Also engine hard to start when cold (about 20 sec on starter before it sputters to life after a few minutes then runs fine).

I will say I purchased a visual scope ( like they use during rectal exam) to peer into tight regions. You can observe and capture images to show the company where the leaks are so they can assess the situation.

I would say give the company one more chance to make it right

Old 13-06-2013, 09:27   #3
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

One idea would just get it tested by another shop, not another re-build. I think they might call this a pressure test. It would cost much less. Hard to trust the last shop after all this. Good thing you are not paying somebody to do the labor but if you had they sure would be unhappy.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:41   #4

Thanks Guy and Surya, I have talked to two people who have had injector pumps rebuilt. All they did was re-install the pump and off they went - no problems. I don't understand why it should leak if it has been pressure tested. I have never stopped a check before. I don't see why I should have all the pain for something that someone else failed to do. I am going to my boat this afternoon and try to determine where the fuel is coming from.
Thanks for the input.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:53   #5

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboardtack View Post
Thanks Guy and Surya, I have talked to two people who have had injector pumps rebuilt. All they did was re-install the pump and off they went - no problems. I don't understand why it should leak if it has been pressure tested. I have never stopped a check before. I don't see why I should have all the pain for something that someone else failed to do. I am going to my boat this afternoon and try to determine where the fuel is coming from.
Thanks for the input.
If the leak is comming from the bottom of the fuel pump(I assume its the inuector pump) not the feed pump, it could be at any point higher than the bottom and it could be collecting at the bottom. Are you absolutely sure its not coming from the inlet and return port. On my 4-108 i've had problems if inlet port doesn't align correctly due to other copper piping running there. Tightening these fittings (compression and injector nuts) takes practice and experience. They can be ruined if overtightened, then they will always have leaks.
Old 13-06-2013, 16:12   #6

Phorvati,
You were right about the leak coming from higher up.
I ran the engine this afternoon and was able to trace the fuel leak to the governor housing on top of the injector pump. It appears to be coming from either the nuts on the very top or / also from the two bolts that hold the housing to the pump. I thought I had fixed this previously, but all I did was cut down on the amount of fuel that was leaking.
I now have to start from scratch; take off the heat exchanger, etc. and then disconnect the pump and remove it. Dreading to start that over again. This will be my third time.
I have had two weeks of grief due to the fact that the repaired pump was not adequately tested before being shipped back to me. I originally just wanted the leak from the throttle actuator arm fixed, as the pump ran fine. However, it seemed like a good time to have the seals converted from rubber to nitrol ( not sure of the spelling). Now with the housing leaking, and it was leaking quite a bit when first installed, I am getting suspicious of what exactly was done to my pump. I was told that the repaired pump did pass the pressure test. I was also told that the bolts holding the housing on might have come loose during shipping. This seems absurd on reflection, as the vibration of the engine must be many times greater than the shocks inside a padded box. Now I am thinking about having the pump shipped to a different repair facility and have the housing inspected and repaired.
My question is what is a fair response to the this company that has given me such trouble ? They have charged me about $230 for parts and $400 for labor. I was prepared to write off the grief I had experienced and pay the bill, and I did send them a check. But now facing another cycle of this nonsense is too much. I have stopped the check so as to have time get a handle on it. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 13-06-2013, 16:32   #7
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think it might be a case of you get what you pay for. Not to say thats an excuse but that was a pretty cheap ovhl. It could have been $1000 bucks for one that did not leak. I would tell them to piss off, bite the bullet and send it to another shop.
Old 14-06-2013, 08:55   #8

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboardtack View Post
Phorvati,
You were right about the leak coming from higher up.
I ran the engine this afternoon and was able to trace the fuel leak to the governor housing on top of the injector pump. It appears to be coming from either the nuts on the very top or / also from the two bolts that hold the housing to the pump. I thought I had fixed this previously, but all I did was cut down on the amount of fuel that was leaking.
I now have to start from scratch; take off the heat exchanger, etc. and then disconnect the pump and remove it. Dreading to start that over again. This will be my third time.
I have had two weeks of grief due to the fact that the repaired pump was not adequately tested before being shipped back to me. I originally just wanted the leak from the throttle actuator arm fixed, as the pump ran fine. However, it seemed like a good time to have the seals converted from rubber to nitrol ( not sure of the spelling). Now with the housing leaking, and it was leaking quite a bit when first installed, I am getting suspicious of what exactly was done to my pump. I was told that the repaired pump did pass the pressure test. I was also told that the bolts holding the housing on might have come loose during shipping. This seems absurd on reflection, as the vibration of the engine must be many times greater than the shocks inside a padded box. Now I am thinking about having the pump shipped to a different repair facility and have the housing inspected and repaired.
My question is what is a fair response to the this company that has given me such trouble ? They have charged me about $230 for parts and $400 for labor. I was prepared to write off the grief I had experienced and pay the bill, and I did send them a check. But now facing another cycle of this nonsense is too much. I have stopped the check so as to have time get a handle on it. Thanks for any thoughts.
Im up north, summer is short, weekends to enjoy sailing even shorter. For this reason i carry many spares...Injection pump being one of them, along with the Seal kit, that includes seals for the very leak you have....yeah its money up front, and it might be an overkill, but having an issue like this would drive me crazy. Look for CAV DPA on ebay. Make sure you know which serial #s are for 4-107. I got mine for $200. Ended up being the one I am using right now. Listing said it was rebuilt and tested 20 years ago, but sat on the shelf. Works like a charm. I did this cause my original IP was giving me grief. I rebuilt the original and I'm keeping it as a spare.
Old 14-06-2013, 11:43   #9

Phorvati,
Thanks for the information. I went on e-bay but at present mine is not there. I will keep trying.
I have been getting quotes all morning on another rebuild. Once bitten - very ,very shy.
Thanks for the wise advice.
Ray

Tags
fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: