Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 14:03   #1

Fuel Filters in Series

I have had someone suggest that once you have one 2 micron fuel filter in the line to the engine, adding another 2 micron filter in series will not reduce the flow further. I am an electrical type and not very adept at fluid dynamics but it seems that putting one 2 micron filter in the line would reduce the flow by "X" and that putting a second 2 micron filter of the same type in series with the first would then result in a total flow reduction of "2X". Can someone tell me if I am correct, and point me to the fluid formula governing the topic?

Thanks,

Bob
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 14:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Fuel Filters in Series

Bob, it won't reduce the flow but might increase the pressure. However, if the fuel pump is on the engine and the filters between the tank and the engine, then air pressure is used to force fuel through the filters by creating a partial vacuum. The surface area of the filters is huge, doubt its going to be a problem for a small yacht engine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 14:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why would you want filters in series?? If one clogs, the other one will be blocked by the clogged one.

Best to plumb in parallel with valves so you can switch between the two should one become blocked. From experience, it's no fun to be cleaning out and changing a fuel filter while bouncing around in the ocean because it became clogged with algae or detritus from the fuel tank. Way better to just switch a valve to draw from the second filter and soldier on.

It would seem that if there is reduced flow from one filter, adding another in line of the same size will double the restriction.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 14:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Bob, it won't reduce the flow but might increase the pressure. However, if the fuel pump is on the engine and the filters between the tank and the engine, then air pressure is used to force fuel through the filters by creating a partial vacuum. The surface area of the filters is huge, doubt its going to be a problem for a small yacht engine.

Pete
Pete,

Thanks for the explanation. The case I am referring to is where the pump is on the engine. If the pressure is kept constant at atmospheric is it still true that two series filters would have exactly the same flow as one? Sorry for the rudimentary questions, but this is not my area of expertise. My thought process was making an analogy to two resistors in series with a constant voltage.

Bob
Old 19-02-2012, 14:51   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend View Post
Pete,

Thanks for the explanation. The case I am referring to is where the pump is on the engine. If the pressure is kept constant at atmospheric is it still true that two series filters would have exactly the same flow as one? Sorry for the rudimentary questions, but this is not my area of expertise. My thought process was making an analogy to two resistors in series with a constant voltage.

Bob
No, adding filters will create additional resistance just like electrical resistors in series. The difference is that the pump might just put more effort into pumping, creating a deeper vacuum, which results in the same flow. This is not good, as it eats away at the margins normally used for filter elements that start to clog.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 15:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, adding filters will create additional resistance just like electrical resistors in series. The difference is that the pump might just put more effort into pumping, creating a deeper vacuum, which results in the same flow. This is not good, as it eats away at the margins normally used for filter elements that start to clog. ciao! Nick.
Well yes and no. We use 1.5 litres an hour to move a 31ft yacht at 5 knots. If there was an air bubble in the fuel line you would be pushed to see it move the fuel flow is so slow even accepting some is returned unused.

Pete
Old 19-02-2012, 15:20   #7

Quote:
I have had someone suggest that once you have one 2 micron fuel filter in the line to the engine, adding another 2 micron filter in series will not reduce the flow further. I am an electrical type and not very adept at fluid dynamics but it seems that putting one 2 micron filter in the line would reduce the flow by "X" and that putting a second 2 micron filter of the same type in series with the first would then result in a total flow reduction of "2X". Can someone tell me if I am correct, and point me to the fluid formula governing the topic?

Thanks,

Bob
All you need is a large prefilter like Raccor with visible decanter bowl. The filter located near the lifting pump is a polishing filter, You could keep it for two years providing you replace the prefilter as required. Like one member say, having two prefilters in parrallel with proper isolating valve is the best.
Remember: the larger the prefilter, the better (just like a boat), as an example, if my engine was 50HP, I would size the prefilter for 100HP.
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 15:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well yes and no. We use 1.5 litres an hour to move a 31ft yacht at 5 knots. If there was an air bubble in the fuel line you would be pushed to see it move the fuel flow is so slow even accepting some is returned unused.

Pete
Pete,

Are you taking into consideration that the fuel flow return to the tank is a multiple of the fuel actually burned, that the injector pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel flow, and that additional restriction to flow may put a greater load on the lift pump? I am not sure I have that all calibrated.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 19-02-2012, 15:52   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have opted for the Racors in parallel. If you have the ability to a) filter fuel down the deck fill to get the egregious muck and bug parts out, and b) you have a rig to polish the fuel into a daytank, into which the return line can be routed, you are guaranteeing that you have at any given time at least a day tank's worth of clean fuel you could put straight to the lift pump.

More than one Racor is, depending on its height above the tanks, going to make the lift pump work harder, perhaps to the point of affecting flow, if I am understanding your question.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 16:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I have opted for the Racors in parallel. If you have the ability to a) filter fuel down the deck fill to get the egregious muck and bug parts out, and b) you have a rig to polish the fuel into a daytank, into which the return line can be routed, you are guaranteeing that you have at any given time at least a day tank's worth of clean fuel you could put straight to the lift pump.

More than one Racor is, depending on its height above the tanks, going to make the lift pump work harder, perhaps to the point of affecting flow, if I am understanding your question.
Thanks. Excellent advice! I agree that having two filters in parallel is the way to go. Unfortunately, due to the configuration of my boat, I don't have room for the second filter. I also like the idea of being able to switch filters quickly in an emergency.

Bob
Old 20-02-2012, 05:31   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Pete,

Are you taking into consideration that the fuel flow return to the tank is a multiple of the fuel actually burned, that the injector pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel flow, and that additional restriction to flow may put a greater load on the lift pump? I am not sure I have that all calibrated.

Thanks, Bob
Bob, yes but even so the amount of fuel flowing through the fuel line is tiny, well on a small yacht engine it is. A previous V8 5.7L petrol volvo was a completely different matter.

So will the resistance go up with two filters in sereis, yes, will the flow rate drop, nah.

If you can't manage two filters in parallel then sit a simple CAV water seperator in somewhere to catch water, larger lumps and any dirt. This is our set up and whilst Europe has good clean fuel we haven't had a problem an the water seperator catches any build up before it can reach the engine.

Pete
Old 20-02-2012, 10:04   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

The CAV with a Fram or similar filter is a good idea, too. So is rerouting the fuel vents from the topsides to the cabin top, but that's more ambitious.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:07   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have an electric assist pump to prime and i have small inline filters prior to that with a racor after the pump. works great. none are 2 micron--i believe they are 30 and 10 micron with the closest to engine being the finest filtration.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:10   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy
The CAV with a Fram or similar filter is a good idea, too. So is rerouting the fuel vents from the topsides to the cabin top, but that's more ambitious.
The fuel vents on a monohull should cross, i.e. the vent for the port tank shoul be at starboard and vice versa.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:33   #15

I have used two racors in series before using a 10 micron in the first and a 5 or 2 in the second. My theory was that if i was having clogging problems, the 2 micron would clog real fast, so I protected it with the 10. On an older boat I would say parallel is best though, then you just switch the valve if you have clogging problems. On a newer boat or new tank, one Racor and the engine filter should be fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel