Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 23:00   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Fuel Filter - too many?

The downside to running both primaries at same time is that in a serious contamination you can quickly be dead in the water at a critical time. ( example running a narrow pass with current or heavy weather on a Lee shore

There have been times when you may need to keep alternately changing primaries to get out of trouble as when you open up your reserve tank and the fuel is bad.

Better to always have a clean filter on stand bye to give you some reaction time to make decisions.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:04   #17

I has selectable dual racors and I removed one. I never switched over and one did all the work for years and failed... the model no longer supported. When this one goes or when I have the time I might upgrade to 2 switchable... or just carry a spare and have cut offs and an easy way to change it out.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:34   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Agreed, if you are able to always buy your diesel from a reliable outlet.....you probably will never have a problem.

But if you sometimes need to buy in barrels, delivered by a Philippine Jeepny with a dirty hose..... Good to take a bunch of precautions.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31   #19

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Matt,
...widely use in aust & sth pacific area normally takes a Cav 296 Std 10 micron 0r ryco 21320p Std 20 micron, the engine came standard with a inline twin bowl setup using a 10 micron 296 element, the FleetGuard 167A must be an A element as these are 5.5 micron can be used for better protection.
Great info Shakey, Been trying to get some specs on these filters but not seen anything more than word of mouth. Any links to any specsheets. Seems like it's classified info for some reason?
Old 25-09-2015, 05:02   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Doug, any idea what size thread is used for the nylon drain plug?
5/16" UNC
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 05:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
…….. Do not throw away the seal ring between glass & alloy bottom section as they are a separate part number & not supplied with new elements. ……....
Baldwin BF825 filters contain all the flat section seal rings (i.e. 3) as well as the 2 small O Rings.

At least the ones I purchased last week did

I understand these are 4 micron nominal, 8 micron (beta 2) and 15 micron absolute
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-09-2015, 05:32   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Great info Shakey, Been trying to get some specs on these filters but not seen anything more than word of mouth. Any links to any specsheets. Seems like it's classified info for some reason?
Not quite a spec sheet but maybe useful.

http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/Filte...Bolt/FBW-BF825
and
TWL: Re: Recommended Fuel Filters

I did find a spec sheet for the BF825 last week but I can't find it tonight
Old 25-09-2015, 05:54   #23

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

:thumbup: thanks Wottie, got a Baldwin to use as my secondary filter. At the moment running twin cav types, one as original on the engine and one as a primary in the fuel line.

I figure that having two in series will still help catch slightly more particles than just one filter on its own. And both have water traps which will be working together.

I am installing a bypass valve so if the primary is blocked I can open the bypass and then change out the primary while the engines running, with the secondary filter doing the work. This also means I can change the primary without having to bleed the whole system. This seems to me like a simpler way than two parallel filters and a secondary for our small auxiliary yacht engines.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
fuel, fuel filter