Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2009, 08:10   #1

Location: The boat and I are presently in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; I spend summers in MN.
Boat: Brewer 46 Pilot House Cutter, s/v Lady Diane
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Diane
Frozen Volvo

My 2o something yr old Volvo Penta TAMD40 130 hp is locked up after storage for 5 months without starting. Mechanics could not turn manually from the nut on the front nor at the fly wheel. They took it down and found water (fresh) in 3 cylinders. There was also sweet water in the oil but under the oil as it did not show from the dipstick and only found it when I pumped the oil out. I need to find out why the water is there.

So, now I will get bids on rebuilding but I know Volvo parts are criminally high. I most likely am looking at a new engine. How do I begin to assess what I need and don't need? This is a 46' Brewer pilothouse, much like a Pan Oceanic. Where do I start?

Help Help
Lady in distress!
Diane
Lady Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 08:35   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Sorry to hear about the engine. Could be a leaking headgasket, but sitting around for 5 months with water inside the cylinders hasn't done it much good.

If you haven't already, try the Pan Oceanic owner's group and see what they have done about repowering.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 09:14   #3

Boat: Sceptre 36
I rebuilt a Volvo once and would never consider it again. Parts cost more than a new alternate engine!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 09:27   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If there was anti-freeze/water in the cylinders there may not be much damage to the cylinder walls. You need to get the head off to see how much damage there is. Depending on the hours of the motor should be a determining factor on a replacement vs. rebuild.

Water in the lower crank case may have been some of the water seeping past the piston rings

If the water in the cylinders is raw water then it most likely backed up from the exhaust. Meaning the exhaust system may not be set up properly. Otherwise I'd agree with the bad head gasket theory.
Old 27-11-2009, 10:12   #5

Location: The boat and I are presently in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; I spend summers in MN.
Thanks for your comments. It was not sea water, but fresh water in the cylinders. Mechanics are getting down to head now.
Old 27-11-2009, 14:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Decision time...

Unless you have strong reasons (like financial) for keeping your current engine now is the time to make the decision on a new engine. You could pour money into it and still end up with a heap of $#!^.

It's hard to imagine the your current engine is going to be suitable for cruising (even if fixed up) and that your plan isn't it?

I tossed the old Ford that came with Boracay and installed a new John Deere 4045DFM50/ZF63. Very relaxing when it's all done, with a nice rumble.

Those horsies in the glossy brochures. When the propeller power needed curve meets the engine power delivered curve they don't gallop so fast. I should have considered the turbo 4045...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 15:25   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
If you cannot fix it to like new condition for 1/X of the re-powering price, then re-power.

BTW 130 is lots for a Pan Oceanic, isn't it?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 18:08   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Have they been able to "bar" the engine over at all?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 08:52   #9

Bon Bini, Chief!

If you mean by using the big wrench at the front nut of the engine and at the fly wheel, the answer is NO. They have gone beyond that and taken most of the engine apart to ready it for removal. I am now shopping for a different engine. I haven't even received the bid for fixing the Volvo, but I think it will be not worth doing.

There is some discussion about whether I can now use a 4 cylinder instead of a 6, and go to perhaps an 80 hp....... which is what the original plans called for.

I need all the advice I can get, so keep it coming. I appreciate it as I don'[t know what I don't know!!!
diane
Old 28-11-2009, 13:33   #10
Eternal Member

Keep us posted!!!!!!

You will find more "opinions" than you can ever ask for here.

Some of them actually work!!!!!

If you are planning on doing a full repower, "keep us in the loop" we might be able to save you a few $$$$
Old 28-11-2009, 13:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Diane View Post
There is some discussion about whether I can now use a 4 cylinder instead of a 6, and go to perhaps an 80 hp....... which is what the original plans called for.
I was thinking a 130 hp was a little over kill for a 46' but that may vari' according to the displacement.

The general rule is 1-1/2 to 2hp per 1000 lb. of boat and a full keel maybe a bit more. I would go to other Brewer 46 owners and see what they have and get their opinion on performance. But 80hp sounds to be plenty IMHO.
Old 29-11-2009, 10:55   #12

Repowering my Brewer MT 46 cutter

Yes, I am going to repower her. So where do I begin? My first concerns are as follows:
1. find an engine with similar bed size - where can I get information about what bed size I have? Too much engine is still there, to go measure it. My present engine is TAMD 40 Volvo Penta, circa 1982.
From the research of other similar boats and my own original boat plans and specs, I understand that an engine of 80 hp is sufficient. This boats' gross tonnage is listed as 41, but loaded is more likely to be about 48. The 130 w/turbo was most likely over kill, as someone said.

2. I need to be sure the engine I choose will fit thru hatch opening. I don't intend to do any cutting.

So am I on the right track?
I do appreciate the comments.
Diane
Old 29-11-2009, 13:42   #13

Most manufactures get over dim's on their motors. Yanmar for instance: http://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/ya...4HTE_KM4A2.pdf

And Westerbeke: http://www.westerbeke.com/ProductDra...5M%2072AMP.pdf

Although these are not 80 hp, but there are many motors out there to choose from even used: Used Marine and Industrial Diesel Engines For Sale and another one in Fl but have lost the e-address.

Chances are that any 4 cylinder will be smaller then the 6 cyl. that is in place now. They'll probable have to pull most of it out in pieces and if necessary put the new on in by pulling off external pieces like the exhaust , motor mounts and such.
Old 29-11-2009, 14:31   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Could ask the designer...

Contact details for the designer are available on his website.

Still think you should consider the John Deere 4045TFM50.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 15:27   #15
Eternal Member

Measure from the center of the engine mounts fore and aft and side to side.

(Length and width)

Measure overall length fom Pulleys in front to shaft coupling

Measure height fom bottom of oil pan to highest point on engine.

Engine Distributors will have dimensional info.

Yanmar...for example...has a nice jig for sizing up.

If you get a yanmar or are shopping for one, the dealer should be able to loan one to you.

I get mine from a Yanmar Dealer....I have to leave a deposit with them

Tags
volvo