Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2008, 05:22   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Gord said:
"Most 27 - 36 Ft. cruisers, I've seen, will be equipped with 12 - 20 HP, 2-Cylinder diesels.
Most single-cylinder engines will be too small for these boats, under most circumstances."

And:
" I believe that Yanmar still offers their 1GM10 - an 8 HP (cont. @ 3400 rpm) Single-Cylinder raw water cooled diesel."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Wotname,
I'm so glad you did the due diligence to prove me wrong . This is not about which engine models are available. But the differences of RWC and FWC.

Old 13-05-2008, 07:08   #17
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Wotname,
I'm so glad you did the due diligence to prove me wrong . This is not about which engine models are available. But the differences of RWC and FWC.
Agreed that it is about RWC & FWC, I was thinking that the 1GM10 (RWC) must not be available in the USA but still available "down under" and as the OP is "down under", it may be of interest to him.

BTW, I have found your professional opinion on engine questions on CF to be very helpful so for the record, what is your professional opinion on pros and cons of RWC on smaller engines?

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 07:15   #18

I don't have a problem with RWC on our small engines. FWC was introduced to make the engines more thermally stable, efficient and emissions compliant.
As long as over heating is kept to a minimum with a RWC engine it'll last 20+ years.

Tags
raw water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: