Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2005, 02:06   #1

Fram Oil Filters?

Maybe I am just being cheap and lazy but... Does anybody have an opinion on using a Fram or another non OEM oil filter on their diesel?

I have a Yanmar 3JH2 and the local dealer is a fair drive away. I can't find an online florida dealer that sells them, and they are a bit pricy. I can buy a Fram cross referenced filter for half the price, and I can get it local or online. They hold up to some pretty abusive use on my car, so why not on the boat?

Opinions?

Thanks, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 07:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yes Fram are a good name in filters. Careful what others you look at though. There are very good filters available and some absolute crap out there.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 11:35   #3

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Fram

We have been using Fram filters on Makai since she was built. The factory adds a case of them in the spares package. Not the Yanmar.

We also used them on our last boat Feng Shui for years with no problems.

The funniest is that the filters are the exact same ones used on my Miata. So when we buy filters we can buy cases at a time and save money without sacraficing quality.

Thouhg next paycheck I want to switch to the permanent filter, but that is another story.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 20:06   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Former Fram user

I formerly used Fram filters until I found out that they sometimes use cardbord endcaps for the filter element attachment and that, although rare, occasionally the cardboard comes apart and can get into your oil system. I was warned away from them by a knowledgable Yanmar parts guy who sold the Baldwin as well as the Yanmar ones.

Wix and Baldwin are good ones available for Yanmar engines still at a price savings over the Yanmar ones (Yanmar doesn't make the filters there is a huge Japanese mfr which makes all of them for Yanmar, Kabota, etc.).
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 21:52   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
pirate BE CAREFUL!

JUST AS A PRECAUTIONARY MESURE BE SURE THAT YOUR YANMAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY BEFORE YOU START TO SPEND LESS MONEY. IF YOU WERE, UNFORTUNATELY, TO HAVE A CLAIM YANMAR WILL ASK FOR YOUR FILTERS AND OTHER REFERENCE TYPE OF PRODUCTS FROM YOUR ENGINE. NOT TO BE PICKY JUST SO THEY CAN FIND OUT WHAT CAUSED THE FAILURE AND PREVENT IT IN THE FUTURE WITH TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS. WITH OUT A O.E.M. FILTER THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE CLAIM. AS A YANMAR DEALER I WILL TELL YOU "OFF THE RECORD THAT IT IS NOT AN ISSUE TO GO WITH AN AFTERMARKET FILTER AFTER WARRANTY.
I PREFER BALDWIN AND THEN ,IF NOT AVAILABLE, AC DELCO.

WINDTHIEF
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 06:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Bradley, If wouldn't mind, can you please turn your caps lock off. On the net, typing in Capitals denotes that you are yelling. We all realise you aren't and it isn't intentional, but it is darn hard to look at. Thanks.

Hey Rick, you don't think that yanmar guy was pulling your leg on that Fram and the cardboard ends do ya? Like maybe trying to make you buy a brand he was pushing?

Old 23-08-2005, 12:19   #7

If they have carboard ends

Both my boat and my car use the Fram. IF they have carboards and have been working like champs for years and years, then maybe everyone should switch..

Carboard is a renewable resource. Every time I get a case of beer I have filter ends...
Old 24-08-2005, 01:33   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Hey Wheels,
I don't think that the parts guy was pushing the Baldwin because he just as well would have made more money by selling me the OEM Yanmar (overpriced) filters. In addition, I found a reference to the cardboard end "thing" of Fram from an online source where they compared filters and found several brands "worthy" and not necessarily Fram.

Hey, Capt. Bill,
You get beer in cardboard boxes like wine? (beer in a box?) I know a hooker who worked pretty well for several years yet I don't recommend that anyone switch!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 03:15   #9
Kai Nui

For those of us who are old and blind, the cap locks can be a welcome break!
As for the filters, Manufacturers as a whole will not take issue with non OEM filters, the issue is the grade of the filter. Check with the manufacturer. CAT requires 2 micron in thier highway engines, and most manufacturers will let you know their requirements. Unless you are using coffee cans with cheese cloth, most modern filters are of good quality, it is just a matter of thier filtering ability that is rate in microns as noted above.
I do not know of any manufacturer that requires higher than 1.5 micron for fuel in a marine application, but I could be wrong, so check.
Old 25-08-2005, 17:25   #10

I used fram oil filters for the last 10 years on my boat with no problems,
Old 25-08-2005, 18:36   #11

Thanks for the help guys! Based on input here, and other reading, I'll go ahead and use the Fram filters. My boat is over ten years old, so warranty is not an issue. Being able to get them locally is a big bonus.

Thanks, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 19:33   #12

Gracias

Rick on that recommendation I guess I won't!!

~~_/) ~~~
Old 29-08-2005, 14:56   #13

Boat: Tartan 33 "Radiant"
Send a message via AIM to halyardz
Fram or NAPA?

I've talked with several diesel fellows and two were very strong on NAPA (car parts guys) and factory (in this case Universal) filters. Their opinion of Fram and Puralator was not positive.

Any recations. I did read the above posts which were positive on Fram. JR.
halyardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 19:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well,..(ponders).. lets look at this from a stand back position. Firstly, I have never seen ANY filter actually "fail", as in, come apart internally. Put it this way, if you manufactured a filtered and it's failure meant the destruction of a very expensive engine, I can gaurantee the engine maker is going to fry your Butt. So filter makers are going to ensure they have a product that doesn't fall apart, or, be hiden so deep in China or India, that they can't be found. Hmm, maybe that's unfair.
The real difference in qaulity are in two areas, which kinda relate anyway. It is the quality of the internal components, in both the filter micron size and the mechanical aspects of such things as by-passes and how the whole thing is put together to internally seal. Remember, the filter has to filter, not by-pass crap. At least not untill the filter is blocked enough to allow the internal by-pass(if it has one) to operate.
And Remember!!!!! good oil quality is maintained by regular filter replacement. It doesn't matter how good the filter is, how small a particle it removes, once it is clogged, it's finished. The smaller the filtration, nthe quicker it cloggs. I suspect their are some engines that have real good small micron filters on, that aren't actually doing anything anyway, as they have long since blocked up and the by-pass is operating.
Now that's an idea for manufacturers, some means of being able to indictate the by=pass is operating. Then filter replacement can be done when the filter needs replacing and not at a set hourly interval, where the filter may have long been made redundant anyway.
Just some thoughts,
]

Old 30-08-2005, 04:45   #15

Boat: Tartan 33 "Radiant"
Send a message via AIM to halyardz
Oil Filters...Alan's Notes

Very good points Alan. But I'm still curious as to whether some of the filter manufactures cut corners (if so what corners), issues of mircon size aside. I suppose the answer is if you have any doubts, swap it out. JR
halyardz is offline   Reply With Quote