Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 10:59   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Ford Lehman Raw Water Pump

I've got a Ford Lehman 2712 4 cylinder diesel with a Jabsco 5850-0001 water pump">raw water pump that sprung a leak as we made our way across the Sea of Cortez. It's not coming out from the cover where the impeller is, it coming from the slots behind it along the body of the pump so the seal behind the impeller has failed.
I've never changed one out and while I have the service manual for the engine, it says very little about the ins and outs of changing it. There are four bolts that hold it to a bracket that goes into the engine and meshes with the gears as the engine turns making the pump pump.
Do I need to take the bracket or attachment that goes into the engine off or when I unscrew the bolts, can I just attach it to the bracket or attachment that comes out of the engine? There is a flange that looks like it just slots into another fitting on the engine.
Any suggestions?
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 11:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
easyier to take off the whole pump,should slide out easily.
once you have done this remove front cover,remove impellor,2 screwdrivers and prise out impellor.
next will have to destroy lipseal to get it out but easy to find replacement,need again two implements to prise out lip seal,i have 2 files that have the pointy ends bent over to form a hook,should come out easily.

next measure id and od of seal and shaft,find the local SKF bearing dealer will have a standard lip seal,once you have found the correct seal buy a few spares.
also inside the lip seal is a spring,this for marine applications is stainless,a normal auto motive spring is probabl mild steel which will rust,this you need to replace with an o,ring,also from skf dealer,make sure it is a snug fit replace spring with the oring.

also check the bearings on the back side of the pump housing if worn replace but will need a press,will be another lipseal on the engine side of things,should cost max $20,seals about $3 a piece
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 16:32   #3

You can replace this seal without removing the pump. Remove cover, impeller,black plastic 1/2 moon thing that deforms the impeller (sorry cruiseheimer moment), and finally the rear wearplate. Using a 90 deg pick pull out old seal. Clean pump shaft prior to new seal intall.
Old 17-01-2011, 17:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
better to take pump off if you dont have the spare lip seal,then you can take it to town with you and show it to the guy at the auto spares place who probably doesnt speak any english,.................by sign language................will very quickly get the thing sorted,not stupid the natives,especially when it comes to auto spares.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 17:28   #5

Boat: Marine Trader, Sedan, 40', Donnchaidh
American Diesel has all the parts you will need call them at 804 435 3107. It can be done on the engine or not depending on your knees. 1st remove the cover, 2nd pry out the impeller, 3rd remove the cam, screw in the bottm, 4th remove the back plate, a pick makes it easy, 5th remove the seal, again the pick works here to. Picks can be obtained at most hardware stores and generally come in sets of four, a straight one, one bent 90 degrees, one bent 45 degrees and one that is sort of a cork screw. Good luck. J.T.Duncan
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman, raw water, raw water pump, water