The old engine was indeed a Dorset 2712E. I believe it was running a P5128 Cav Minimec, but I would have to double check when I'm next in Iluka/Yamba as that's where the defunct engine lay.
I used the flywheel off the old engine; as the new one had a massively weighted flywheel presumably to stabilize input power to the alternator
. I bolted up the old velvet drive, prop-shaft and prop all original and matched to the old 2712E.
The plate on top of the new motor
states Max 1550RPM, and fuel
The Cav Minimec currently used is a P5127 /3.
I found a little info as to spec differences here at boatdiesel.com:
But could not view the rest of the thread as I need to be a paying member
I did have a working cable driven tacho before the cable snapped; this is where I got my max reading of 1000RPM when in Forward gear. I have wound out the max RPM
screw, and can achieve over 2500RPM in Neutral. When in gear, the throttle moves a 1/4 through its range of motion with a corresponding change in revs, the other 3/4 does nothing at all (except when in Neutral).
I emailed Bob Smith, he says I should take the pump to a diesel
specialist and have it built to spec. Others though have suggested that it is not so simple. I also have a spare P5537 /A Minimec. Though it has been sitting around for a long time, and I'm not sure if it works.
Thanks for any and all of your help,