Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2015, 10:48   #1
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1981 41' CHB
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Ford Lehman 120

Hello. I have a couple Ford Lehman 120 with about 4,000 hours. The 41' CHB had not been used much during the previous 1+ when I had bought it. I am getting some sheen and some light smoke. I want no smoke or sheen. Injectors? or? thanks.
If rebuild is needed approx cost each, thanks

Old 19-08-2015, 18:47   #2

Re: Ford Lehman 120

I'll go with injector nozzle & pintle wear along with low crack pressures.

Old 20-08-2015, 03:16   #3
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

And the simplest check, an oil change. Old broken down oil might be all that is wrong.
Old 20-08-2015, 06:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

You don't have a problem with these engines. The Ford Lehman wil always have a light smoke on cold start up and the smoke should disappear when the engine warm up. The sheen is another common thing with the Ford Lehman and should also go away with use. You need to take the boat out and run the engine wide open throttle for at least 15 minutes. Watch the engine gauges for overheating or anything else unusual. The temp should rise to somewhere between 180 and 190. That's OK. You may see a lot of smoke at first, but it too will go away. Wide open throttle should be as close to 2500 RPM's as possible. If you can't reach that, you have other issues. American Diesel, 804-435-3107, are the experts on the Ford Lehman. Bob Smith, the owner was one of the original engineers for the marinized engine. His son Brian answers the phone most of the time and they will happily answer any questions, even if you don't buy anything. They are the go to source for parts. The engine is a workhorse and will last a very long time if it is maintained. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 07:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Another suggestion. There is a CHB Yahoo Group made up of very knowledgeable owners that are happy to share. You will need a Yahoo email account to join. It's a treasure trove of information on the boats. We also have a number of blog posts on maintenance and repairs on our Ford Lehman. http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot....h/label/Engine . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 20-08-2015, 10:25   #6
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks and here is what I have done since i bought the boat 4 months ago. First off the vessel was well maintained by the previous owner which he was Commodore of Yacht Club for many years in WA State. The last year before I bought it I think maybe not much was done, but a oil change before I bought it. I took it over to the San Juan Islands and ran it between 1600 and 1700 most of the time. It ran well, once under way no smoke. A little sheen at startup. I was over there for a couple weeks and just puttered around. Someone told me I should run the engines at wide open for about 15 minutes. Scary to me but then i find out that diesels can do that.
So when I got back couples weeks later, the oil looks fine brought it up to correct level so added about 1/4 qt to each engine to level.
I took the vessel and and brought them up to full power, yeo, did the bow rise or what. . . . what a wake. Anyway I was able to get the port engine up to 2234 and starboard up to 2300. . . but the starboard engine set off the hot buzzer so I slowed down to around 1800 until it went away. So i did run then for about 12 min, it did smoke. Not sure I want to do that again as they do run good. The previous said they ran the best of good mileage at 1600 which is what he ran them at for the 6 years he had it. He also kept meticulous records. Ok, that it. Now at startup some sheen and a little smoke. . .
Old 20-08-2015, 11:06   #7

Boat: Moody 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post
Hello. I have a couple Ford Lehman 120 with about 4,000 hours. The 41' CHB had not been used much during the previous 1+ when I had bought it. I am getting some sheen and some light smoke. I want no smoke or sheen. Injectors? or? thanks.
If rebuild is needed approx cost each, thanks
My 35 year old 120 uses no oil and does not smoke! I am a firm believer in straight 30w Shell Rotella oil. A friend of mine used Chevron 10w30 and always added oil regularly till I convinced him to use 30w or 40w (hot weather use). When i purchased my boat it had set on land 1 1/2 years and also smoked some. I also believe in running the engine once a month when not being used.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

You should not have had an overheat running at WOT. 2200 to 2300, if the tachs are correct, is under what you should be doing. When was the last time the props and bottom was cleaned? The engines should be able to maintain at least 2400 RPM's without issue. We have run ours for over an hour without overheating. It does burn a lot of fuel. Of course the props may need to be tweaked. You should run the engines at WOT for five minutes at least once during a full days run every time you use it. Because you will normally run at 1600 to 1700 RPM's while cruising you need the WOT run to keep the engines at their peak. I still suggest you call American Diesel and discuss this with Brian or Bob. You will get some excellent professional input. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 20-08-2015, 12:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well.... a well cared for Lehman 120 is an amazing engine. They certainly shouldnt need a rebuilt for at least double if not triple or quadruple those hours. Maybe an injector issue... they do tend to get bad if they sit unused some time.... streaming fuel instead of atomizing. That would result in unburned fuel and a sheen.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 14:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

I bought rebuilt injectors online from some tractor place in the midwest for dirt cheap.
Old 20-08-2015, 16:03   #11
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post
So when I got back couples weeks later, the oil looks fine brought it up to correct level so added about 1/4 qt to each engine to level. . .

OK, so the engines are using some oil or where did that oil go? Second, is the oil you added exactly the same brand, viscosity and type as the oil that was already in there? Because mixing two different oils can produce very variable results, one of which is a lower viscosity oil than either of the original component oils.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-08-2015, 18:07   #12
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok got it from the horses mouth things to check when I get back to my boat in a couple weeks, thanks for all efforts. I will let you know how things worked out if they do for anyone interested, thank again. Chuck

Tags
lehman

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: