Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 14:50   #1
rlg

flushing fresh water cooling system on W-46 westerbeke

Can anyone tell me how to flush my fresh water cooling? I cant see a drain and pulling hoses is messy and not very effective. I would also like to include the loop to the water heater as well. Seems like it should be a simple thing...

thanks, Rob
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:06   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Re: flushing fresh water cooling system on W-46 westerbeke

It's not easy on this engine. The drain plug for the block is actually behind the starter. You cannot get to it without removing the starter. Crazy, I know. I didn't believe it myself until my mechanic showed me another W46 on the bench and I could look for myself. Pulling the starter does not necessarily have to be a big job, but it will definitly add time to the job. Maine Sail once wrote a post of how he flushes an engine using an external electric pump and some appropriately rigged-up hoses. It involves removing the thermostat as well. If you pull the starter to drain the block, and use his flushing method, you will get the job done and well. But what a pain
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 14:35   #3
rlg

Thanks saltyhog, I think I remember hearing that before. Im Going to search his method. Ive just been flushing with distilled water a few times, its getting better but damn headbanger like you say! They dont make it too easy to do the right thing...
Old 25-03-2014, 14:43   #4

For normal maintenance it should be quite sufficient to drain most of the water from the system, and re-fill with fresh coolant. What you are doing is just refreshing the anti-corrosion additive package.

If you've left the coolant in for far too long, and corrosion or sludge have taken hold, then you need to flush.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 16:50   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The W-46 has a V-shaped, stainless steel, directional/bypass reed valve in the water heater hose take-off fitting. Flushing in one direction will collapse the butterfly and not flush the heater, other way will.
Old 26-03-2014, 16:00   #6
rlg

thanks for the replies.
I found Maine Sail's post on flushing, guess thats the route Ill take.
My system isnt too bad but I will feel better after a flush.
Thanks for pointing out that valve Blue Stocking, never seen it before.

Tags
cooling, flushing, water, westerbeke