Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Fischer Panda 4000FC

Dear All
The mystery of my non starting or nearly non starting generator continues
It is a light used 4 year old 4000FC with a Farryman engine.
The engine just cranks and won't fire so have been through lots of checks which are the following:
Checked Stop/start solenoid (ok)
By Passed any electronics and safety shut offs (ok)
Checked Valve clearance as this has been an issue on other posts (ok)

What was interesting as I wanted to check for fuel lock and took the injector out and cranked the engine and the fuel was dribbling so thought it might be the fuel pump so sent away for check/service and came back all ok.

The mechanic has now visited and managed to get the engine started presumably using some magic spray in air box - His opinion and not checked as he did not have a volt meter was overrunning of engine which in turn was producing black smoke.

These engines run at around 3600RPM constant RPM and he had the cacoon off so wonder if he was surprised at the RPM's

The black smoke and the dribble from the injector makes me think it could be a block or damaged injector as mentioned above did the crank test and no spray just dribble of fuel,

The engineer is now saying that he thinks it could be the fuel Governor hence the runaway engine revs in his opinion

Does anyone know if these small engines should see a spray on cranking from injector?

Thanks
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 00:33   #2

Re: Fischer Panda 4000FC

As far as I know you should always see a spray pattern coming out of the injector . Even when cranking the engine .
If not , have the injector checked .

No clogged exhaust ? Air filter is clear I presume
I take it there is no air leak in the supply fuel line ?
Have you checked the compression ? Low compression could explain crippled engine start .
Have you checked the oil level , diesel’s revs can run out of control when oil level is to high .
No doubt the mechanic used pilot start to get the engine going .
If all checks out it’s most likely the governor , but then you had the pump tested no ?

Just that you know you’re not the only one having problems with diesel engine start , after refurbishing my injectors the engine wouldn’t start after a day on hold ( See topic “ diesel doesn’t start ........” ) , air creeped in and bleeding the system ( in-fact only one injector) was necessary to get it going again . Today I may have found the reason why , a connection from the diesel common return line was loose .
Final test in a few days .

Good luck to you and please keep us informed on the outcome .
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 00:25   #3

Probably not related, but my FP 8000i wouldn't start.
It would turn over, but not fire up.
Looked at all sorts of possibilities.
Finally simply disconnected the inverter and it fired up immediately.

Dead inverter.
johnny666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 03:28   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

The fuel injector doesn't know whether its bolted into the head or held in one's hand. In either case it should emit a fine spray (which needs be kept far away from one's body parts!). If the fuel just "dribbles" out, either the tip is bad/blown off; or, the injection pump is failing or has failed. If the injector became clogged (before blowing the tip off) the injection pump would have been pushing against an obstruction and, over pressured, blown the seals around the little "piston". If so, it may "kind'a" work but not properly. If you ave a competent shop that can inspect/test the injector, do so. If you're lucky and the tip/nozzle is bad, they may be able to replace it. If not, a replacement injector is in your future. Once the injector issue is resolved, you may still have an issue with the injection pump. Another, bust (somewhat) less likely issue is compression. With the injector out, you can test the compression, or have your mechanic do so. It should be in the mid 300's. If not, you may have a burned valve which will require a top end rebuild, at least.

Order of business: 1. Check compression; 2. Check injector; 3. Check Injection Pump.

BTDT, got the T-Shirt....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda