Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 07:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

At second glance, it is spinning. I guess just not fast enough to move the boat, thanks to the awesomely low rpm.

How about a shiny new hard bottom dink and a good pair of oars instead? Can you even get a new 2 stroke anywhere?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 07:35   #17

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If the engine is running at "high" rpm and the boat is not moving then number 1 suspect is the prop shear pin if installed or whatever keys the prop to the shaft.
I was thinking the same thing - shear pin. That my be one of your problems. Use a small nail or bolt of you don't have another. Just dont hit ground.

Try to keep the two stroke....remember how light they are. I have a Tohatsu 3(?) hp. I can carry it around with one hand.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 07:36   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Grunzster - Don't be fooled - with a sheared pin/cone the prop will still spin. Also the rpm may appear to fluctuate up and down with steady throttle as the prop loads and unloads.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 07:59   #19

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
How about a shiny new hard bottom dink and a good pair of oars instead? Can you even get a new 2 stroke anywhere?
Most places outside of EU or USA you can still get small 2 strokes.
Old 31-08-2010, 08:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Disclaimer: only semi mechanically inclined newb. Guess I should have said that up front.

Neoprene type rubber material on the shaft is torn, falling apart, deteriorated. I'm assuming that's the hub referred to earlier?

Anyway to band aid it to at least get me to shore? Or am I pretty much stuck pulling the hook and moving to a slip until I can find the part?
Old 31-08-2010, 08:21   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Buy 2 keep a spare.

I don't know if and how I would jury rig that without having hands on the engine.

Maybe someone has had the direct experience.

I presume you still have the carb problem and low RPM.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 08:25   #22
Marine Service Provider

Definitely plan on getting 2!

Last time I ran it, still seemed very low. Had to put it on the davits to get to the prop.
Old 31-08-2010, 09:10   #23

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma
Older engines had the pleasure of running gas before it was mixed with ethanol and over a few years, if never cleaned out, developed a thin layer of varnish on the surfaces. When ethanol is introduced to this environment and sits in the fuel bowl for awhile, it loosens this varnish and it floats about in there and gets lodged into the idle - air and mid - range passages. Carb cleaner should have cleaned this out. If the throttle remains at idle position but high rpm's occur, in for this to happen the engine has to be getting air somewhere other than is normally introduced through the throttle body (venturi) in the idle position.
I don't know if the motor has reeds or not but in pwc's, if you try to start them after flooding the engine with water in a roll over, the hydraulic action punches the reeds through the reed cage backwards and causes similar conditions.
Hope this helps......
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:56   #24
Marine Service Provider

dlockhart - The carb cleaner did solve the high rpm problem. Now I have a low rpm problem, though.
Old 31-08-2010, 13:07   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Most places outside of EU or USA you can still get small 2 strokes.
Figures That would explain why I'm finding nothing.
Old 31-08-2010, 13:20   #26

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:

Maybe time for a shiny new 4 stroke?
It seems you're ready to throw money at the problem due to your frustration. But you're willing to throw a whole bunch at a new motor rather than have the old one professionaly looked at for cheap. If you take it in and are convinced it no good, the shop may have the shiney new one you want for a good price (and maybe put your repair charges towards that price).

A trip to a repair shop would be cheaper, educate you on the problem, and would not be trading one set of problem for another set.
Old 31-08-2010, 14:10   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
But you're willing to throw a whole bunch at a new motor rather than have the old one professionaly looked at for cheap.
But I thought that was the big selling point of outboards? They're cheap enough that when they get old and problematic, you just dump it overboard and buy a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
A trip to a repair shop would be cheaper, educate you on the problem, and would not be trading one set of problem for another set.
Very good point, and I have though about that.

I really am throwing around the idea of a hard dinghy that I can actually row, if I run into problems, though. And the 5 HP seems to be too much for a lot of them. I also have a Honda connection, so may be able to get the 2HP for cheap!

Still trying to decide. But for now, I'm just going to let more chain out, throw on the bridle, and sit put for a few days.
Old 31-08-2010, 14:30   #28

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:

I really am throwing around the idea of a hard dinghy that I can actually row, ...

Still trying to decide. But for now, I'm just going to let more chain out, throw on the bridle, and sit put for a few days.
Yes, I know. I'm responding on that thread as well (...downgrading).

Good idea. Sleep on it for a while.

BTW. My 8 hp is an '80's something. Your 5 hp is not so old. It's not intended to be a consumable.
Old 31-08-2010, 15:07   #29

Boat: Bristol 34
Don't give up on that old two-stroke just yet. Most probably you have both a carb problem and sounds like a prop problem. You should be able to find a rebuild kit for the carb and most props are under $100 USD.

As for cleaning the jets in the carb you may be able to find these tiny wire like files at an auro parts store. Carb cleaner and acetone will not sufficiently penetrate the tiny openings.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 14:26   #30
Marine Service Provider

Not giving up yet! But I am giving up on the RIB. I want something I can actually row, if this happens again.

Tags
2 stroke