Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 14:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Finger primer on 3YM30 fuel pump not working

For the first time in many years of changing fuel filters, the little finger primer didn't bring fuel to the secondary filter. I seem to recall last year it took more pumps than the year prior and today I pumped it a ton today with no luck. I got fuel into the primary filter via my fuel polishing pump so it wasn't needing to draw fuel all the way from tank. After giving up on the finger pump, I started engine to drive fuel pump to pull fuel into secondary filter (which happened almost immediately). I ran the engine rough for a few seconds to bleed air out at the secondary vent screw, then tightened everything up and called it good.

I am wondering if the finger pump aspect failing might be a sign of a problem with the fuel pump?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 14:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Finger primer on 3YM30 fuel pump not working

If the fuel pump arm is resting on the high part of the cam lobe, then more then likely the little priming lever will not work. Bump the starter, to move it off the high stop.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, fuel, fuel pump