Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2012, 01:20   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Filters , Belts etc

I have just acquired and installed a Vetus 4.65 engine in our boat and am very happy with performance.
My one problem is that I am far from a Vetus dealer with any volume of stock and Vetus appear to be extremely reluctant to divulge equivalents for their branded oil filters, belts, etc., even though they are patently standard. I don't want to go through the hassle of taking these off before they need replacing and hawking them round suppliers in search of equivalents but, on the other hand, I don't want to have to wait days, never mind the expense, of having to order parts to be shipped half way round the world. Can anyone point me to a source of information, giving equivalent specifications and sizes of filters and belts from major manufacturers or distributors?
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 06:36   #2

Re: FILTERS, BELTS, ETC..

Have you searched Vetus engine 4.65 cross reference oil filter equivalents?
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 06:56   #3

Boat: hunter 376

Vetus may be reluctant to offer advice on after-market products because they may not be engineered and manufactured to the same standard, and they have no obligation to investigate which ones are, or are not. As a manufacturer, our products are often copied, and I get asked often about such copies, as well as after-market accessories. Some are good, some are bad, some are junk. Our product, a fuel tank, is made to very high standards of manufacturing dictated by a host of regulatory agencies which regularly audit our manufacturing processes, but still get returned by consumers who have opted to purchase made in China fuel pumps ordered online, and fail within a few weeks of purchase.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 16:31   #4

Boat: Vagabond 42

I take your point but I am not talking about own products but items like belts and filters. Vetus is primarily a marketing organisation and the items I am looking for are standard products. It isn't difficult to find the alternatives, just inconvenient and it seems to me that Vetus do themselves more harm than good by putting otherwise satisfied customers to the extra trouble.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote