Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-01-2016, 16:34   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Filter Element size recommendations?

Fuel polishing baby! I use a large 2 micron filter. Engine filters are 30 and 10. If the engine filters do clog, a valve bypasses them quickly and easily.

It's a wonderful setup. With a clean tank, it makes fuel related bs a thing of the past.

I suspect my fuel injection system at large is very happy.

Old 26-01-2016, 17:55   #17

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleSugarMan View Post
Hi Everyone,

We have a 1980 Perkins 4-108 in our Cal 39. We had major problems due to contaminated fuel when we bought the boat 3-1/2 years ago, but between 2 sessions of fuel dialysis and weeks of motoring in the ICW,that seems to have been more or less fixed. But we are still having intermittent problems with the engine cutting out and having to be bled.
Love the CALs. I raced a CAL 40 in the olden days.

We lost our HP injection pump last year. Dirt in the fuel put it out of business. I have since researched this and added a polishing loop with 1 micron. The loop runs about 10X the engine fuel rate so the tanks are getting polished all the time. engine fuel is drawn from the clean line after the polishing filter. Unless you are willing to open your inspection covers - if you have them and scrub the tanks the problem will likely re-occur. I finally found this link about marine diesel I found useful. Captn Wil's Fuel Polishing System: Trawlers & Trawlering How To

Old 26-01-2016, 18:46   #18

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

We have a 1980 Perkins 4-108 in our Cal 39. We had major problems due to contaminated fuel when we bought the boat 3-1/2 years ago, but between 2 sessions of fuel dialysis and weeks of motoring in the ICW,that seems to have been more or less fixed. But we are still having intermittent problems with the engine cutting out and having to be bled.

Available filter element sizes are 30mc, 10mc, and 2mc. Various mechanics have told us different things. All seem to agree that there should be a 10mc in the secondary filter. But some tell us we should always run 30mc in the primary, some say 10mc and some say 2mc because there still appear to be contaminants in the fuel.

Does anyone out there have input they could give us?

We would appreciate your help.
I have found 2mc in racor prefilters to be an excellent choice. I sail a lot in waters with contaminated fuel (plenty of third world). Provided you change filters reasonably regularly then no problem. Why would you not? Twin racors will help if filters get clogged regularly, but just think: they are clogging for a reason. Secondly, you need to remove all your injectors and clean them. This can be achieved manually as well, but I bet you will find the jets carbonised. Cleaning the jets themselves is tricky and is careful/finicky work, but can be done aboard (I have done it many times). However if unsure get them professionally cleaned. If you have not pulled your injectors and cleaned them, the MUST do so.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Fuel polishing baby! I use a large 2 micron filter. Engine filters are 30 and 10. If the engine filters do clog, a valve bypasses them quickly and easily.

It's a wonderful setup. With a clean tank, it makes fuel related bs a thing of the past.

I suspect my fuel injection system at large is very happy.
I agree on fuel polishing. I like to see one on every boat I work on, and on my own I have a nice wee compact one with 2mc filter and UV filter. Run it for several hours at each refil and after periods of idleness. You do still need to check injector nozzles periodically however, as well as valve clearances etc.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 26-01-2016, 19:02   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Our secondary is indeed the engine mounted filter on the back of the engine.

We're trying to figure out what's going on because our injector pump just died for the second time in a year and a half. The first time we had it done, it was done by a mechanic at the Silver Cloud Harbor Marina in Forked River, NJ. They charged us a total of $5000! And even though I had the required new injection lines shipped to them in 3 days, it took them 6 weeks of dragging their feet to get the job done. I had prepaid for 6 weeks of dockage to make sure I was covered; and in my opinion they just milked it. And now the darned pump has died again so I have serious doubts as to the quality of their work. I will never, ever go back there.

I'm looking for a vacuum gauge to hook into the system so I can monitor the state of my filter elements. Any ideas what brand and where to get it?
If indeed the problem is the pump, and not fouled injectors/air in the system (rather more likely), then send your pump to Everglades. They are the best. I have had pumps done by them which were ancient, and came back so perfect I thought they had sent me the wrong pump and what I had received was factory new! Had to check serial numbers before I could believe it! Truly fantastic company, service, and finished product.

Everglades Fuel Injection Service, Inc.
Old 26-01-2016, 19:56   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The usual setup found on most diesel engines is a primary filter of 30 micron and a secondary of 10 micron.
Because my fuel and tanks are clean and I buy clean fuel, I run a 2 micron primary and my 10 micron secondaries never get dirty. But because filters also trap water, I change them yearly. And my tanks were built in 1942.
Water could be your problem if the problem is ongoing. Make sure your fill and vents can't allow water into the tank. Use a good fuel conditioner. One that absorbs water (so it will burn with the fuel) and includes a biocide. Keep your tanks full when sitting so it's harder for condensation to form.
The additives I use are Algae-x and Archoil 6200.

Tags
men, size

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: