Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 08:10   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Film On Water From Diesel Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ive used a little infra red heat gun to measure temperatures all over a few different engines. Cheap and easy to use. Might help track down if one cylinder is running cold, or if its the whole system.
We've done that as well with a surface measurement spotchecking the cooling system/raw water system as well.

Once you've installed a pyrometer in the manifold or exhaust system to measure the temperature of the exhaust gasses, there's no going back, you'll love it. Instant feedback on the range you're operating the engine in and importantly you can see how loaded it really is.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:03   #32

I had this issue on my 3208's and once had to run at wot for 5 minutes to make a bridge opening. No more fuel on water, no more smoke on startup.

I now regularly run them up and problem has stopped.

Diesel engines need to be run hard at specified operating temperature....they are designed that way.

Best.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 21:45   #33

Mine mates new Lombardi Diesel engines does it as well ,the same as mine 1978 Westerbeke engine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Pieter Lanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:11   #34

Sheen likely to come from unburned diesel. Why is the diesel not burning thoroughly? Excess delivery from worn injector pump, or injectors not atomising or both. If the injectors and pump are OK, then inadequate compression could be the cause.

However the apparent lack of blue smoke should eliminate worn or stuck rings or bores.

So, more likely to be improperly delivered fuel.
starcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:54   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseGoose View Post
I had this issue on my 3208's and once had to run at wot for 5 minutes to make a bridge opening. No more fuel on water, no more smoke on startup.

I now regularly run them up and problem has stopped.

Diesel engines need to be run hard at specified operating temperature....they are designed that way.

Best.

I think a whole lot of Diesel problems could be solved this way, as long as they have a good, strong bottom end, good oil pressure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:44   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think a whole lot of Diesel problems could be solved this way, as long as they have a good, strong bottom end, good oil pressure.
You actually just need to bring the engine up to full operating temperature for a period of 30 minutes or so. No need to run wide open blowing through 4x the fuel, just need to get the engine going nice and hot. The thing is "full operating temperature" is measured in the exhaust gasses not in the coolant temperatures. The coolant can be at the stable temperature (e.g. 183F on my engine) but yet the engine operating temperature can be half of what it should be and the only easy way to know is to measure exhaust gas temperature.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:57   #37

You shouldn't be getting much sheen on the water. I have found a streaming injector will do that and often the engine will seem to run well. raw fuel isn't atomized and doesn't burn and just goes out the exhaust. make sure your oil level isn't rising on the dipstick, It can gain a quart in 8-10 hours if the injector is streaming.
or, Head gasket allowing oil into the coolant?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, water