Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 13:25   #1

Boat: O’Day 34 1984
Field coil lead wire to starter is rusted

Hey,
My engine wasn't turning. After inspection I noticed the field coil lead wire going to my M terminal on the starter was completely rusted and essentially gone. Is there any way to replace that? I am not really sure what it does, I have been trying to find out more but haven't found what it is needed for. Some starter/solenoid diagrams don't show one at all. Is it a ground wire, or extremely important in starting the motor? Could anyone lend me some info?

Thank you!

tyleroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:36   #2

Re: Field coil lead wire to starter is rusted

The solenoid is a relay to prevent the ignition switch from having to carry heavy amperage , that being said when you turn the key voltage is applied to the s terminal which pulls a metal disc in contact with the two large terminalsthus sending power to the start motor
Forgot to mention that the solenoid also pulls the starter drive into contact with the flywheel
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:46   #3

Thank you for the info. I took the motor and starter off and brought it to a shop and explained that the field coil is gone. He said it would be pretty hard to fix unfortunately. I am not sure if it can be.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:10   #4

Your starter motor is a dc series motor. The armature and field are fed by the same connection, that M connection on the solenoid housing that powers up when the solenoid is operated by the key switch or starter button.

Such failures of starters are not uncommon, and a good shop can repair them...often with parts from a similar starter that has failed in a different manner that they have repaired in the past and have in the shop, or that an owner has decided to replace with new or remanufactured starter, or with new parts they can order.

Find another electrical shop. That starter should be easily repairable.

Then find out why you have rust on your starter. You must have a leak somewhere nearby...perhaps on the engine (raw water cooled?) that is so small that the mist is hard to see, and perhaps only leaks when the engine is hot.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:21   #5

Ah yes! I just bought the boat a couple months ago and thought that it may havejust already been rusted. BUT 2 weeks ago when running my pump to have running water I noticed it draining 5 gallons in a minute. Upon inspection I found a metal joint rusted and split open on the tubing on my outside shower hose located in my cockpit's locker. I bet that since the water was spraying around there when the hose split I was basically dousing my engine compartment upon the last few cleaning of dishes and brushing my teeth.

It all is starting to make sense.

Hopefully this guy can find a spare part to fix it, if not you assured me it IS indeed repairable. Now I can sleep easier. Thanks
Old 07-10-2015, 13:34   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=fryewe;1931722]

Find another electrical shop. That starter should be easily repairable.

Not always. It depends on how close the lead has broken from the coil. If it is right at the coil you can'solder on another lead. If break is far enough from the coils you can do anything from soldering on a new lead to drilling a hole and attaching a new lead. Often that lead is very short so it's not cut and dried.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Don't know what engine you have, but ebay is a good place for starters. Bought spares for my Detroits, and Perking & Onan generators. Dealer wanted $245 for Onan starter and paid $65 for a new one on ebay.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:01   #8

Follow up...
I got it rebuilt and my engine started right up!
It was $116 at a place in Lake Worth, Florida called Beiter Batteries. The service was great.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyleroday View Post
Follow up...
I got it rebuilt and my engine started right up!
It was $116 at a place in Lake Worth, Florida called Beiter Batteries. The service was great.
Great...
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil