Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-07-2016, 12:21   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Re: Favorite fuel priming pump?

The risk from an inline electric fuel pump is a runaway engine, which can be hard to shut down. When the engine mounted mechanical pump gets a hole in the rubber pump diaphragm the electric pump pressure will send fuel into the engine crankcase. With enough diesel in the crankcase you can end up with a runaway engine. You have to cut off the air supply to stop it, which can be a bit scary with the engine screaming above redline.

Eventually developing a hole in the diaphragm is not all that uncommon, given enough hours. If you run an electric pump you should periodically replace your engine mounted pump to reduce the chances of a runaway engine.

Without an inline electric pump, the engine simply stops or sputters when a hole develops in the mechanical pump diaphragm.

I didn't make this up. I learned about this while taking an advanced diesel repair course at a maritime school.

Fuel bulbs are not ABYC compliant for use on an inboard. However my last boat had one. I agree they are handy.

Old 28-07-2016, 12:32   #17

I've been considering an electric inline pump for priming as needed but had a question for those of you who do this. Do you valve the electric pump into the feed line to the racors when needed but then reposition the valves to allow a direct flow from the tank to the racors after priming is complete or is the electric plumbed directly into the feed line and just shut down when not needed for priming???

Old 28-07-2016, 13:07   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I just bought a cheap 2psi inline pump, you can blow through it in the foreward direction, so I think I'll just plumb it into the line before the filters, and only turn it on when it's needed to prime the system.
Old 28-07-2016, 13:12   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
I just bought a cheap 2psi inline pump, you can blow through it in the foreward direction, so I think I'll just plumb it into the line before the filters, and only turn it on when it's needed to prime the system.

That is the idea of a primer pump, no valves etc, just don't run it unless your bleeding air out of the filters you just replaced
Old 28-07-2016, 13:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reference mechanical diaphragm pumps, they can in fact bleed fuel into the engine crankcase if the diaphragm fails and cause an engine run away with no electric pump in the picture, it has happened before. I think ask Zeehag
If I was going to run an electric fuel pump, it would be in place of and not along with the mechanical diaphragm pump.
Primer bulbs will rot out and fail, I think there are photos of some on the Compass Marine website (AKA Mainsail)

Link to failed primer bulb, I don't think Mainesail would mind
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/image/145237549
Old 28-07-2016, 13:18   #21
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
just don't run it unless your bleeding air out of the filters you just replaced
Why ??
Old 28-07-2016, 15:05   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Favorite fuel priming pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Why ??

Well couple of reasons, there is no need, it's not doing anything except wearing itself out, secondly if a leak downstream of the electric pump develops, you now have fuel leaking , maybe spraying in the boat.

Now if you want to replace your mechanical with an electric, I can see the logic there, just wire it so the pump runs with the key on, and if you want to bleed the fuel filters, turn on the key, you have to put up with the low oil pressure alarm, but as it should only be a short while it ought to be OK.
As long as your pump supplies enough fuel at the right pressure, only down side I see is you now have an engine that requires electricity to run. But replacements are cheap and easy as opposed to mechanicals, they may not be nearly as cheap.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-07-2016, 15:54   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

We have a Racor P Series primary pump and a walbro backup. Both plumbed in parallel.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-07-2016, 16:01   #24
Guy

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2177063]ey, you have to put up with the low oil pressure alarm, but as it should only be a short while it ought to be OK.
As long as your pump supplies enough fuel at the right pressure, only down side I see is you now have an engine that requires electricity to run.

I couldn't stand the alarm so there is a power switch just for the pump when you need it. I figured if I could get the engine started there is enough juice to run one of those little pumps off solar wind and batts for a good while.
Old 28-07-2016, 16:40   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Favorite fuel priming pump?

Way IP wired mine from the factory is you have to have the key on, then you can turn the switch on and run the electric priming pump. Has a placard that says to only use pump when priming, do not leave on.
It was a Lucas pump, very hard to find and stupid expensive, so I just tossed it when I installed the dual Racor set up, it took maybe all of 1 min to completely fill both completely empty Racors so I decided I didn't need the electric pump.
The mechanical pump works I believe just like most automobiles, an arm rides on a cam lobe and this actuates the pump.
Trick is the engine can stop with the arm pushing the pump at the top of its stroke so you manually pumping the lever won't do anything much so if you feel no resistance on the lever, you may have to turn the crank a little to get the pump so you can get a full stroke with the manual lever.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-07-2016, 18:26   #26
Guy

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2177137]
It was a Lucas pump, very hard to find and stupid expensive,

Just like the one in my MG? Holy crap, I bet the new totally encapsulated pumps are unlimited life. If I understand them, they are a spring loaded solenoid. Using diesel as lube, they should never quit.
Old 28-07-2016, 19:17   #27

Outboard squeeze bulb. Works great. Smaller engines you can just put it in the fuel line or do this
SMX Complete Squeeze Bulb Priming Kit - Seaboard Marine
Old 28-07-2016, 19:53   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I have bulbs installed in line, work fine. Dead simple install.

You really dont need to move that much fuel to prime a small engine filter system. A few pumps is all it usually takes on mine (Volvo MD2020, RACOR FG500 filter).
I do the same. Works great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: