Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09   #1

Farymann expert???

Anyone know of someone with experience on Farymann engines??
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 17:03   #2

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Farymann expert???

I need one too. Just bought an old boat with an A 30 in it that has not run for a year or more. Need some competent advice soon. Thanks if you find some help on it.
FriscoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 18:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

What's the issue?

Here's a repair/trouble shooting manual that covers several models. File was to big for Cruisers so here's where you can download it: http://www.richardanderson.net/TechS...r%20Manual.pdf
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 23:16   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The best thing you can do with a Faryman is swap it out for a better engine. they were not that great.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 13:45   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
Anyone know of someone with experience on Farymann engines??

Still waiting to see a specific question, rather than any body know someone.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:11   #6

Boat: Cal 2-27

Well, the sole us distributor tells me "sorry, the waterpump you're looking for is no longer available. " no further suggestions or ideas for alternative pumps, nothing to work with.
FriscoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 10:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoKid View Post
Well, the sole us distributor tells me "sorry, the waterpump you're looking for is no longer available. " no further suggestions or ideas for alternative pumps, nothing to work with.
If your referring to the fresh water side pump and not the salt water pump.
Some of the older water pumps were rebuild able. The metal impeller could be pressed off the shaft and the shaft pressed out of the bearing/seal assembly. Then you would fit a new bearing /seal assembly and press the impeller back on.
This is how it was done back in the old days until things got to where it was easier and cheaper to change out the unit.
I don't know how your particular pump is designed but it's worth looking into if no other options are available. Any thing is possible if you have enough money to throw at it.
The water pump seal on my Onan 7.5 K.W. gen set is shot. the seal and housing are torn up and rather than deal with it I by passed the hoses to and from the pump and hooked up the salt water supply to my electric air cond. water pump and wired it to the gen power distribution switch so when I start the gen it powers up the electric pump. Has been working since Mexico. Luckily the bearings were still good as the V-belt still has to be installed.
I wish you good luck and hopefully you'll find some way to make it work.
Old 28-03-2017, 10:18   #8

Actually the detachable water pump used on the k34/18/15 and others can be easily rebuilt with new bearing and seals....I now have 3 that I have done...easy peasy with the right parts which can be sourced but not from Farymann,,,an even easier solution is the external electric pump.....just dont back pressure the silencer if not running....another option is to replace the front cover of the engine with a newer model front which has the "Johnston" style pump....pricy but doable
Old 28-03-2017, 10:21   #9

I just looked over the repair manual that Lepke provided . It looks like the engine is salt water cooled directly. Is your pump fitted with a rubber type impeller or is it an old gear type pump. What is the issue that you need a new pump? Is the pump body torn up? Can you post a picture of the pump so we can see it?
Old 28-03-2017, 10:32   #10

The one im referring to is detachable from the front cover..it has a rubber impeller...they are made of a hard resin/plastic and tend to strip the threads that hold the impeller cover on...not really a big deal...the bearing and seals(2) are available from suppliers....
Old 28-03-2017, 10:37   #11

Quote:
The one im referring to is detachable from the front cover..it has a rubber impeller...they are made of a hard resin/plastic and tend to strip the threads that hold the impeller cover on...not really a big deal...the bearing and seals(2) are available from suppliers....
Is there enough meat on the casing walls to drill and tap oversize for larger fasteners?
Will JB Weld work to fill the holes then drill and tap?
Old 28-03-2017, 10:48   #12

Take it out, replace it with kubota.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:17   #13

I drilled the screw holes out and used metal threaded inserts..with a high quality epoxy...not JB weld....its important to "score" the hole sides with a thread to give the epoxy grip..I get my epoxy from a golf shop..its used to repair club heads and is very high quality
Old 28-03-2017, 11:38   #14

Quote:
I drilled the screw holes out and used metal threaded inserts..with a high quality epoxy...not JB weld....its important to "score" the hole sides with a thread to give the epoxy grip..I get my epoxy from a golf shop..its used to repair club heads and is very high quality
Sounds like you have it covered. I love to hear ways to get around buying new parts all the time. If a piece can be repaired to good as new for little or no cost I'm all for it. Builds confidence, skills and ability to be self sufficient. I say bravo.

Tags
farymann