Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 15:59   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I cant find a diagram on the 'net, and my manual is down on the boat, but basically there is a SS muffler mounted ABOVE the manifold. Raw water is injected into this muffler and both gases and water exit the bottom and flow "downhill" and out the stern. It's extremely reliable with very low backpressure. Sorry I cant do better right now...
Sounds like a stand pipe exhaust system.

Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook - Google Book Search

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 18:24   #17

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
John, two things: 1. THATS IT! Apparently my exhaust system is also called a "Standpipe" system. 2. You just made me spend $30 on that damn book! Wow, Gerr's book looks like just the ticket for this stage of my refit. Thanks John, I really owe ya a beer (or six)!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 19:18   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I've used a big, black Marelon ball-valve, at the bottom of the u-loop, just before the 90 degree elbow over the side. Absolutely no problems for over twenty years. The ignition key hangs on it when the valve is closed. I use a waterproof battery switch (the one with the red key) as my ignition switch to avoid corrosion to this exposed unit. For security, the power to the starter motor is shut off by an interior switch. When the boat is left unattended, the engine power is cut off and bad guys would have to enter the cabin to search for the switch. This is awkward because the 130 dB alarm sirens, inside and out, make their noses bleed and ruin linear thought processes (not present in some boat thieves).
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 01:05   #19

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Redoing the exhaust system now, before the perkins comes back home after rebuild.
I think its a 2" hose, and thinking about going up to 3", so will need to replace the water lift as well as the transom exhaust. A flapper valve added seems like a good idea.
Since its a center cockpit 40 footer, its a long run to the transom.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 05:15   #20

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
My last boat had a exhaust flap that worked for ten years without once flooding the engine. I've never heard of a flap failing but I'm sure it must have happened somewhere, to someone. Thinking about the alternative, an exhaust valve. I can think of some good and bad things. When the valve is properly closed, the possibility of failure and allowing water in is zero, so failure rate is nil. The possibility of forgetting the valve in the closed position is perhaps 1 in 500, then the possibility of the system failing when you start the engine is probably 99%. On the KISS principle, I'd go with a flap every time.

Paige
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 23:44   #21

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
I recently read a book dealing with the issue of a shut off valve in the exhaust system. I think it was written by Hal Roth. I believe the he positioned the shut off in the cockpit so that the inigition key could not be turned unless the handle for the shut off was in the open position.
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust