Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 18:29   #1

Exhaust manifold studs

I have a Universal M50 and replaced the exhaust mainfold studs during its rebuild.

Getting ready to test run it and filled engine with coolant. Two days later (I let it sit to make sure nothing is wrong) I saw coolant dripping from the exhaust manifold bolts.

Turns out that the holes in the head into which the studs screw are connected to the coolant passages.

The new studs are the correct thread type (M8 x 1.25), but the non threaded part has a slightly smaller OD than the OD of the threads.

The old studs have a non-threaded OD that is slightly larger than the OD of the threads. When the old studs go in, the larger OD forms a seal, preventing coolant from leaking.

Problem is that I cannot find studs that are the correct dia/thread pitch/length and also have a non-threaded OD that is slightly larger than the OD of the threads.

Does anyone know if there is a name for the type of stud that has a non-threaded OD larger than the OD of the threaded part?

Are studs just not made like that anymore (Engine was made in 1982).

If I can't find studs to fit, I'll have to use some kind of goop sealant.

Does anyone have a recommendation of some kind of thread sealer that can withstand the temperatures of the engine head near the exhaust ports?

Thanks
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Exhaust manifold studs

The part number is 298635 and Westerbeke has them for $6.10 each.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Let me qualify that. Where did you get the new studs? If you got them from Westerbeke, shame in them. If you used stock studs, then my information may be of use to you. If that fails, take one of the old studs to a machine shop - turning a rod to the right diameter (if it's not stock diameter) and then cutting the threads you need should not be a big job. I don't think I'd mess with goop in this demanding an application.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 19:06   #4

Thanks Keith,

I got the replacements from McMasters. The westerbeke studs are a match for the originals, but they are too short. I made a better alternator bracket adn oil pressure manifold bracket, so six out of the 8 studs need to be ~3/8" longer

I agree, the goop will be a last resort. I'll stop by a machine shop tomorrow. I had the same problem on the V drive (Walter V drive). It's studs were 3/8, but the OD of the non threaded of my replacement studs were narrower. I ended up cleaning up and reusing the old studs on that v drive.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 19:23   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Have you contacted Hansen Marine, the major distributor for Westerbeke/Universal, and talk to John (I think) Hansen? very helpful people. 781-631-3282
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 19:57   #6

Boat: Hobie 16; Mastercraft prostar 205

I've done enough exhaust stud replacements to say you should ALWAYS ALWAYS cover the threads with anti seize compound. Don't know if it will seal your issue but the next time it will be much easier to remove the studs.
Cdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 21:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Many engines have stud holes drilled into the water passages. It's a common problem. I found high temp silicone to work well. When you have a bolt/stud exposed to high heat or rust/corrosion, I have found almost all will come out easily with an impact tool when a hand tool will break them off. I also use Never Seize or something like it unless a sealing problem like yours. I have rebuilt or overhauled a couple hundred engines.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:30   #8

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If the threads go into the water jacket there will be a leak. Small block Chevys are a common example, the head bolts threads must be coated with some type of sealant. Chevy generally recommends something like this

or this

though in a pinch I too have used high temp RTV silicone... probably better to use the correct stuff if you can get it.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 07:56   #9

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

On the M25 engine some of the stud holes run into the water jacket. Universal offered an enhanced alternator bracket along with longer studs. Not sure if the same was available for the M50. You do need some sealer on the threads to keep coolant from leaking.

Tags
exhaust