Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 14:48   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If anyone needs a 1' length of fiberglass tube (vernatube) I'll let you have it for what it cost me. I've got one or two 1' pieces left after my project. It is 2".
regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Elbow.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	13220  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have seen boats with the rubber flapper installed on something smaller than 3" but it was always a 3" flap cut to fit the smaller size. I have also never seen a flap under 3" in a shop nor catalog.

If your exhaust is smaller, there is another way: get the 3" flapper and the smallest piece of 3" fibreglass pipe you can get. For one end of the pipe so that it mates with the hull when put -over- the smaller pipe; cut it to length so that there's enough room for mounting the flapper; while holding it into position, mark the outline on the hull; mask with a zillion small pieces of tape; use dremel to grind away the gelcoat where the pipe meets hull; epoxy it into place. I would use the hardener with UV filter and mix in the maximum allowed quantity of white pigment and some colloidal silica to make it the right consistency. If you intend to paint it you can leave out the pigment.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
FWIW: The Hardin Marine #810-EG-300 is a 2-1/2" ➛ 3" I.D. Exhaust Flap
Exhaust Flappers
www .hardin-marine.com/SearchResult~CategoryID~99.aspx

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 14:26   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I got an "exhaust transom 2" S/S with check valve" which is just a flapper installed inside the tube. It is made by vetus. www.hamiltonmarine.com
regards,
Old 12-02-2010, 20:03   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
@John: oh yes but those aren't flappers, they are the complete assembly with metal and stuff. You need to replace those when the metal has had enough of hot salt water, sulfur etc. That's why we go for plastic fantastic instead, plus it becomes part of the hull.
Great job you did with the pipe! So you like plastic instead of metal too for the exhaust ;-) I'm afraid that if I would make something like that, I wouldn't have much left when ready... needing to re-cut pieces that end up too short etc. ;-)

@Gord: exactly those are the ones. But that "300" stands for 3.00" and the way to fit it around 2.50" is to cut it at the neck, after which you can overlap it where it is cut and put the hose clamp around. Not a pretty sight.

I am waiting for my hose clamp to fall off there, after which I will put a new flapper on and fasten it with monel wire and my handy clamptite tool. But the hoseclamp is not in contact with the exhaust water so it's holding out pretty good... I put it on in late 2003.

Edit: that's funny... I needed to edit to correct spelling (as usual) and instead of a "save" button I got "vote now". But it worked like the save button... and now I get the normal save button again ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust