Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2008, 17:29   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Exhaust Ford Lehman

I have noticed a very small amount of a slick off the diesel exhaust upon start up. Everything seems to be normal, water output, small amount of smoke. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It tends to disappear once good and warm. Thanks
42AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 18:25   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have the Ford Lehman also and this is pretty typical with that engine.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 20:19   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Very normal with that engine when cold to see sheen on the water. It should go away when the engine is hot though. Those engines seem pretty dependable and long lasting. When we were looking for our boat they were on our "would take" list.
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 11:05   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Ford Engines are big pieces of cast iron.....Just like Detroits.....they take a little time to warm up and the smoke/sheen should go away.

If, and I say if, it persists you may want to have the injector nozzles serviced......

But a small sheen is nothing to worry about at this point
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 12:07   #5

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I agree with all of the above.

My '80 Passport 45 had a 88HP Ford Lehman and it did that from the day that I bought it until I sold it 10 years and 4800 hrs later. I had the injectors serviced a couple time during that period and nothing changed.

That is one strong, solid, dependable, economical engine. The only thing I ever replaced on that engine were heat exchangers and the exhaust manifold elbow.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 13:22   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
I am going to throw one at you. I have twin Ford Daganheim Lehman Diesel 6 cyl engines in my GB. It has over 3000 hours and I was using Delo 40W straight weight just like all the diesel guys here did. When I started it smoked big and lots of sheen on the water. I could go about 50 hrs before it really started using oil and I would add at least a gallon or more per engine before the 100 Hr oil change.

Then I decided to go synthetic because everything I own since 1977 I use Mobil 1 synthetic. Everybody said "you can't put synthetic in an old engine" and I said why not?

Bought Delvac1 and changed one engine. Started it and immediately I could see less smoke. Then the water out of the exhaust check, I always do, and I notice less sheen. Took the boat to the Island with only the one changed and I could tell a big difference. Changed the second to Delvac 1 and since that change at least ten other GB owners have done the same. We all experience less smoke and sheen and much less oil consumption.

That was 1998 and I have a 10 yr history with Delvac 1

It is because the sheen is unburned diesel and the synthetic has a much higher lubricity factor and seals the pistons better. You try it.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, lehman