Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Exhaust Elbow Cleaning

Doing some engine PM and pulled the exhaust elbow to clean and inspect. The visible areas looked better than I expected, given the, I hate to admit how many, years since I last pulled it. But of course the inaccesible cooling water channels...who knows. Water output volume at exhaust is fine, but I would like to try and clean internals of elbow as much as realistic.

Given that these areas are mostly inaccessible, what have others had success in using? Vinegar? Muratic Acid? ...?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Exhaust Elbow Cleaning

When these things fail, often they cause real serious damage to the motor? Wouldn't it be prudent since it has been years to replace it?
What is a recommended replacement interval for these things anyway, assuming a stock Yanmar part.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

soak it in a bucket of muriatic acid.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:49   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I'm assuming Volvo - do you have the older tall riser elbow or the newer shorter elbows?

The shorter elbows are pretty much what you see is what you get - there is the main exhaust passage and the outer water jacket. Both are accessible with a screwdriver or like to chip out hard carbon deposits and rust.

The tall version may be much more difficult.

Our short ones would coke up 50% every 5 years, with the water jacket internally rusting badly, and I found it wasn't worth keeping up with them or buying new expensive ones. I had an open elbow design (no water jacket) made out of stainless instead. I got two of them made out of schedule 80 SS pipe with highly polished welds in Cartagena Colombia by a German machinists who lives there. The cost was $150 for both.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
When these things fail, often they cause real serious damage to the motor? Wouldn't it be prudent since it has been years to replace it?
What is a recommended replacement interval for these things anyway, assuming a stock Yanmar part.
Yes, trying to avoid that with a little PM. Physically it looks pretty good...I've certainly seen much worse.

I replaced it in 2006-7? and have inspected/cleaned once since then. Not sure of Volvo's recommended replacement interval but will check.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Try EZ Off oven cleaner. NOT the "green" kind, the real stuff. Works wonders on baked on exhaust soot - much better than acid. BTW, do NOT mix it with acid!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm assuming Volvo - do you have the older tall riser elbow or the newer shorter elbows?

The shorter elbows are pretty much what you see is what you get - there is the main exhaust passage and the outer water jacket. Both are accessible with a screwdriver or like to chip out hard carbon deposits and rust.

The tall version may be much more difficult.

Our short ones would coke up 50% every 5 years, with the water jacket internally rusting badly, and I found it wasn't worth keeping up with them or buying new expensive ones. I had an open elbow design (no water jacket) made out of stainless instead. I got two of them made out of schedule 80 SS pipe with highly polished welds in Cartagena Colombia by a German machinists who lives there. The cost was $150 for both.

Mark
Yes, Volvo, short version.

This one was not badly clogged and a bit of good old manual cleaning got rid of most of the carbon....but....it also revealed a suspicious corroded spot on the bottom of the elbow. A few good whacks with hammer and it opened right up...new elbow time.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:25   #8

A new Vovlo elbow is of course around $350...anyone have a recommendation for fabrication of a SS one in Panama?
Old 24-06-2014, 05:26   #9

Turns out the outrageously expensive new ones are back ordered until at least June 30 (same for 3 distributors). So, I'm the guinea pig for non-jacketed SS ones fabbed by Kiwi Dave in Bocas. He and Jeff The Mechanic were already working on making these and had two already made.

Installed the first one yesterday. Fit was good and test ran good with no leaks.

The raw water nipple is in the same position as original, which is handy because it fits those stupid cuffs. The tube which makes up the nipple takes a turn inside the elbow and extends an inch or two downstream. Interestingly, by the time the tail piece enters the exhaust hose it is cool, I mean water temp cool not even warm. And the exhaust gases/water exiting the exhaust overboard are cool as well. With the original elbows all the above were warm.

Unfotunately, these first two were made from 304, which I expect will last at least as long as the cast ferrous originals, but would much prefer 316. Any other opinions on longevity of 304 in this application?
Old 24-06-2014, 06:14   #10

The 304 itself will be fine - it is the quality and finish of the welds that will determine the lifespan. The biggest corrosion potential is seawater hitting a hot weld, and it sounds like your design minimizes that.

I know it is too late, but the Perkins elbows are the same as the Volvo ones (only a different color). Did you also try Perkins for stock?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-06-2014, 06:35   #11

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

One other check to make. If the holes are too big then at idle (low r/w flow) the water will not get up to the top holes and the upper section of the hose could overheat. Put your hand on the top and bottom of the hose just aft of the elbow and see if they are nearly the same.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 06:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
One other check to make. If the holes are too big then at idle (low r/w flow) the water will not get up to the top holes and the upper section of the hose could overheat. Put your hand on the top and bottom of the hose just aft of the elbow and see if they are nearly the same.

David
I don't understand what you are referring to as "holes"?

Mark

Old 24-06-2014, 08:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The 304 itself will be fine - it is the quality and finish of the welds that will determine the lifespan. The biggest corrosion potential is seawater hitting a hot weld, and it sounds like your design minimizes that.

I know it is too late, but the Perkins elbows are the same as the Volvo ones (only a different color). Did you also try Perkins for stock?

Mark
Did not check Perkins, but will just for future reference. Given that Volvo does not actually build anything, I think it reasonably likely I will find the same stocking issue.
Old 24-06-2014, 08:27   #14

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Here are a few pictures of some 316 Stainless Steel Exhaust Elbows for Volvo Penta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Elbow.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	83675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Elbow_1.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	83676  

Name:	861906 SS exhaust 1.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	83677   Click image for larger version

Name:	861906 SS exhaust 2.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	83678  

Name:	861906 SS exhaust 3.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	83679  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 09:34   #15

Yes, there are some nice 316 products out there, but not convenient to here (Panama). Oddly, most of the products (as opposed to custom fab) I've found are made by British companies. The last 3 pics you posted are identical to a jacketed 316 product made by one. Looks like very nice work.

The first pic shows a Volvo parts diagram, but a picture of a stock elbow on a Beta Marine engine (sure do like the way Beta does things).

Tags
cleaning, elbow, exhaust