Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2013, 04:12   #16
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Excessive oil consumption in my Yanmars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaF View Post
I have a cat twin inboard diesels
One used oil from new 1Ltr per 50hrs
I was advise to run it at full throttle
which would seat the rings.
I did this for 15min problem solved
I had the same problem with an older engine and it reduced the oil consumption significantly, but in my case I think it had more to do with burning off the cylinder glaze.

Old 19-11-2013, 15:12   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
We are talking about excessive oil consumption of TWO engines, I think. Unlikely there is something wrong with both engines, especially the same thing, unless a design flaw or improper installation? like a stuck oil control ring, although that is a possibility. I would add either Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase oil or SeaFoam, whichever you can get. It's likely that would free a ring. Can't hurt to clean out the oil system and is cheap and easy to try. But your comment on the PO about battery charging really makes me think the engines were just babied excessively and never properly broken in, back to run them hard for an extended period, maybe several hard runs. I am of the opinion that any engine should be properly warmed up prior to being run hard, and then properly cooled prior to shutdown as well, especially if there is a turbo involved, doubly so if the center section isn't liquid cooled. Most cylinder glazing I have ever seen was in aircraft air cooled engines that were overheated by excessive low RPM running, aircraft engines aren't cooled very well if they aren't flying. One thing that can cause cylinder glazing is getting very light rust on your cylinders occasionally, when run of course the rust is cleaned off, but every time this occurs it is sort of like polishing the cylinders, you do not want really mirror like smooth cylinders, you want the cross hatch "scratches" as they hold oil, a smooth polished surface does not.
On Edit, I'm surprised you didn't have excessive blow by, that is real common for un-seated rings, back to aircraft, the big signs of rings not seated is high oil temps and oil turning black very quickly as well as consumption. Blow-by will put heat into the oil and of course turn it black fast due to excessive combustion by products going into the oil from blow-by. Of course on Marine engines you don't know the oil temp, and any Diesel will turn oil black about the time the starter is engaged.
I bring up aircraft only as I'm real familiar with them, but an engine is an engine

Old 19-11-2013, 17:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We are talking about excessive oil consumption of TWO engines, I think. Unlikely there is something wrong with both engines, especially the same thing, unless a design flaw or improper installation? like a stuck oil control ring, although that is a possibility. I would add either Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase oil or SeaFoam, whichever you can get. It's likely that would free a ring. Can't hurt to clean out the oil system and is cheap and easy to try. But your comment on the PO about battery charging really makes me think the engines were just babied excessively and never properly broken in, back to run them hard for an extended period, maybe several hard runs. I am of the opinion that any engine should be properly warmed up prior to being run hard, and then properly cooled prior to shutdown as well, especially if there is a turbo involved, doubly so if the center section isn't liquid cooled. Most cylinder glazing I have ever seen was in aircraft air cooled engines that were overheated by excessive low RPM running, aircraft engines aren't cooled very well if they aren't flying. One thing that can cause cylinder glazing is getting very light rust on your cylinders occasionally, when run of course the rust is cleaned off, but every time this occurs it is sort of like polishing the cylinders, you do not want really mirror like smooth cylinders, you want the cross hatch "scratches" as they hold oil, a smooth polished surface does not.
On Edit, I'm surprised you didn't have excessive blow by, that is real common for un-seated rings, back to aircraft, the big signs of rings not seated is high oil temps and oil turning black very quickly as well as consumption. Blow-by will put heat into the oil and of course turn it black fast due to excessive combustion by products going into the oil from blow-by. Of course on Marine engines you don't know the oil temp, and any Diesel will turn oil black about the time the starter is engaged.
I bring up aircraft only as I'm real familiar with them, but an engine is an engine
Yes we are talking two engines that are using oil at very close to the same rate. That was in part the reason it never concerned me too much. If one had been using a lot more oil than the other one I would have been more concerned. Actually my oil stays pretty clear for 50 or more hours. I do use middle grade oil filters rather than the cheap ones. It may be because I have changed more than half the oil in that 50 hours. I'm headed south tomorrow and will give it a run at full throttle for at 30 minutes and see if that improves the consumption for the rest of the trip. I'll also grab some Marvel Mystery oil as I've used that with some success in gas engines.
Old 24-11-2013, 17:04   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Just reporting back to you guys who said run it hard. I ran it for 20 minutes at 3800 RPM on Weds afternoon staging from Broad Creek to Adams Creek to leave Thursday from Beaufort to Cumberland Island. There wasn't much wind after the first 12 hours so I put a lot of time on the engines and arrived at Doboy sound Saturday afternoon, just ahead of the gale that blew in last night. I even had some 2 engine time as we were trying to get south ahead of the weather. I got about 60 hours total engine time and only used 2 Quarts of oil. About half of what I was previously using. I did another 20 minutes today so we'll see if improves any more.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 24-11-2013, 17:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Thanks for reporting back, she may or may not not have fully seated the rings still. if rings don't seat initially, it's a lot harder to get them to seat. If an engine is run long enough, they will never seat. I would never do anything like this to a modern engine, but it's actually in the Pratt&Whitney manual to allow a measured amount of Bon-Ami into the intake of a R-1340 engine if after overhaul, oil consumption is still excessive.
I'm betting that your's will eventually fully seat.
Interestingly enough, you don't want zero oil consumption, an engine that uses a little oil will outlast one that doesn't, if your not using any oil, whats lubricating the compression rings?
Only point being that it may take a while for them to fully seat, assuming your propped correctly, you can run your engines at full throttle all day without harm. Me, I won't take an engine to full throttle until I am sure the oil is fully warmed up and then I will go to full throttle slowly, once there oil pressure is a very good indicator of internal engine temperature.
Old 24-11-2013, 21:12   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Just as a comparison...My rebuilt Westerbeke W46 (Mitsubishi 4DQ5) has 186 hours from the last oil change and has not used a drop.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consumption, oil, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: