Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-02-2013, 19:33   #16
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From bitter experience I wouldn't have aluminium tanks onboard for any tank at all.

Dave

Old 14-02-2013, 20:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Everything I Ever Wanted to Know About Diesel Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
From bitter experience I wouldn't have aluminium tanks onboard for any tank at all.

Dave
How so? In my admittedly limited experience I've had problems with SS tanks in the one boat that had them, seams split at four years old. Overall pretty good luck with Al in three different boats. Have not yet owned a boat with plastic.

Current 28 year old boat these Al tanks would be fine if the PO had kept them a bit cleaner. The only problems or defects I found in the tank were corrosion spots in the sump.

I think the secret to Al is proper installation. Keep them dry, clean and isolated from other metals.

So what's your preference, PE?

Old 14-02-2013, 20:52   #18

Boat: hunter 31
Re: Everything I Ever Wanted to Know About Diesel Fuel

You can take your tank in and have it repaired, then have it pressure tested. The black you are referring to is probably inert, and harmless. Microbiological induced corrosion (MIC) requires both diesel fuel and water to proliferate, and creates acid which can etch through solid steel. Fuel additives, which you know about, are recommended, as is removing any accumulated water in your tank. You are correct in that fittings below the fuel level are not advised, but a top-mounted permanent water removal fitting is.
My fuel polishing unit is a Fill-rite 15 gpm fuel pump, mounted in a plastic tote for containment, with a 15' hose for both pickup and discharge, running through a goldenrod particulate filter with a water settling basin.

Tags
diesel, fuel, wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: