Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 18:12   #31

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Etiquette for a bad outboard repair shop?

I had this happen. I took it to a guy who sells and fixes Yamahas and Mercuries. Luckily he said to me that it would sit in his shop while he tried to find parts for a Honda.

So I took it to a guy who sells and fixes hondas only. Quick response, cost was low. I visited his shop the day he said, and then called every day(did I say every day?) after that. After the second call after the first visit, it was magically fixed.

These things are not hard, for sure. But try taking your ford to a honda dealership and see what happens. These guys(and gals) like to work on stuff they are very familiar with.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 20:21   #32

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

If it runs at all before touching anything run a can of fuel Injector cleaner through it. If it's just a plugged idle jet that may clean it up. As others have already suggested some basic small engine repair knowledge will pay big dividends.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 20:26   #33

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Thanks, the estimate was two hours labor to take the carb of and sonic clean it, fix the starter and clean out the clogged watt pump, plus parts.

I disagree with the guy who said to pay because they have time in it. I'll pay for the time they used to fix things, but if you bring your car in to be fixed and they can't figure out what is wrong with it, they don't charge you for their labor do they?

If you hire a furniture company to deliver a mattress and they spend two hours loading it into their truck and can't get it to fit, and you have to pick it up yourself and then spend your own time asking people online and then have to clean the carb yourself, do you pay?

No, you pay, based on the expectation they can find and fix the problem. They are only suggesting I put and entire new carb in because they don't know what is wrong with this one and I have a feeling they have bigger projects that are priorities.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 23:18   #34

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 43'

Hi, tell 'em yer gunna try it on your dingy, grab it and run! I repair inverter generators. If I can't fix 'em I don't charge the customer. Study your type of engine on Google and take the plunge of fixing it yourself. It's NOT rocket science. You can get your parts on E-Bay so have a go.
bretto55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 23:54   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Having just gone thru this with a Mercury 9.9 4 stroke. The culprit was a fuel line. Even though it was supposed to be ethanol compatible, it wasn't. It dissolves into a gel that gunned everything up. Wouldn't idle, but ran fine at high speed. Idle circuit on the carb was clogged.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 00:01   #36

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Thanks, the estimate was two hours labor to take the carb of and sonic clean it, fix the starter and clean out the clogged watt pump, plus parts.

I disagree with the guy who said to pay because they have time in it. I'll pay for the time they used to fix things, but if you bring your car in to be fixed and they can't figure out what is wrong with it, they don't charge you for their labor do they?

If you hire a furniture company to deliver a mattress and they spend two hours loading it into their truck and can't get it to fit, and you have to pick it up yourself and then spend your own time asking people online and then have to clean the carb yourself, do you pay?

No, you pay, based on the expectation they can find and fix the problem. They are only suggesting I put and entire new carb in because they don't know what is wrong with this one and I have a feeling they have bigger projects that are priorities.
Here's how it should be when dealing with a professional (let's hope)repair person or shop:State the problem you're having(symptoms) as clearly as possible,don't attempt to give your opinion as to the cause,that's for what you're paying them to do. Make sure that the repair order summarises correctly what you've stated. Ask how about how much the diagnoses will be and when you'll be notified as to the results. When notified they should have a cost to repair ready - you decide go or no go,if no go you're still liable for the diagnoses,however if it's a go ,they're responsible for the fix derived from their diagnosis(because that's what you paid them money for- to find the problem),so unless there's a really good reason(which should be stated beforehand on the repair order) you're not obliged to pay . If it gets nasty, the states Consumer Affairs,if in Calif. is v.helpful . All this shouldn't be necessary if both have good communication and mutual respect. I'm only hearing one side,but from what I'm reading I'd be outta there and this "I have a feeling they have bigger projects that are priorities" is unacceptable ,if that's the case they should have told you.
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 00:03   #37

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Lots of good advice above. I just want to know if a job turns into a three or four beer job, do you get to count all of the beers that you drink before it actually gets finished?
The Australian beer rating is usually measured in cartons of beer that you have to give someone else to do it for you, and if you get up to three yourself I would strongly suggest handing the rest of the box over as payment to someone knowledgeable who hasn't had any yet!
Seriously tho, if it doesn't run well in their test tank just laugh out loud if they want any money for time spent achieving nothing!
And carbies don't wear out anyway, hence almost never need replacing - suggestion of same indicates someone with no idea how to unblock a jet (high or low speed jet, according to whether the problem is with high or low speed operation), or wash gunk out of the float bowl, or remove the crap from the needle seat if flooding. That's about all that can go wrong with a carby. Have a go - bet you can fix it yourself!
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:43   #38

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Swampy View Post
In answer to the problem of not idling below 1500 rpm, first thing I'd do is change the gas for fresh gas. The old gas can go in the car, if your outboard is not a two cycle engine.
Honda only ever made 4 stroke engines.
No such thing as a 2 stroke honda outboard.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57   #39

I work for a Honda/Yamaha outboard repair service and have previously owned a marine engine repair shop. If you use gasoline that contains ethanol, it will probably be the reason that your outboard won't idle. The ethanol combines with water (condensation in the tank) and create a third substance that clogs carbs and fuel components. It will actually etch and destroy the metal surfaces inside the carb. A carb rebuild by a competent mechanic takes at least an hour or about the price of a new carb. We recommend replacement and also remind the customer to drain the fuel system when not in use. This EPA mandated ethanol requirement has created huge and expensive problems in the marine industry as well as other small motor applications.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:29   #40

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Swampy View Post
In answer to the problem of not idling below 1500 rpm, first thing I'd do is change the gas for fresh gas. The old gas can go in the car, if your outboard is not a two cycle engine.
I pour any remaining two stroke gas/oil mix in my car tank. Been doing that for years with no problems. At least in small quantities like half a gallon in a sixteen gallon car tank.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:41   #41

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I pour any remaining two stroke gas/oil mix in my car tank. Been doing that for years with no problems. At least in small quantities like half a gallon in a sixteen gallon car tank.
Me too, before I bought a diesel car that is - makes your car smell just like a boat (and what better way to start the season).

I like my diesel car because it smells just like my other boat.

(Keeping seaweed in the trunk helps too...)
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:53   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I work for a Honda/Yamaha outboard repair service and have previously owned a marine engine repair shop. If you use gasoline that contains ethanol, it will probably be the reason that your outboard won't idle. The ethanol combines with water (condensation in the tank) and create a third substance that clogs carbs and fuel components. It will actually etch and destroy the metal surfaces inside the carb. A carb rebuild by a competent mechanic takes at least an hour or about the price of a new carb. We recommend replacement and also remind the customer to drain the fuel system when not in use. This EPA mandated ethanol requirement has created huge and expensive problems in the marine industry as well as other small motor applications.
Can you still buy "white gas" at the fuel dock? Buying it at the local gas station may save a couple of cents and cost in the long run.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 20:43   #43

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Can you still buy "white gas" at the fuel dock? Buying it at the local gas station may save a couple of cents and cost in the long run.
Sure is tempting to rag on your meaning,but I'll resist. Last time I heard that term was from my father,now long gone, he worked for the oil company called Flying "A", also long gone,from what I remember "white gas" was regular gas,but w/o the additives,esp. lead,it was available at gas stations.He bought it to use in the old Coleman stoves and lamps as the price was much less than the "recommended" fuel and seemed to work just as well.
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:32   #44

Boat: Scout 30

I remember white gas at Sears. Haven't heard that term in a long time. Ethanol is not currently mandated for marine fuel so most marinas sell non-ethanol gas which is always premium around here. Several gas stations in this area also sell it at 1 of there pumps. It's usually about a dollar a gallon more. Ethanol is good for the big corporate corn farmers but it's bad for everyone else. I recommend everyone join Boat US in it's fight to stop the increase to 20% ethanol mandated by Congress.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:27   #45

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
Sure is tempting to rag on your meaning,but I'll resist. Last time I heard that term was from my father,now long gone, he worked for the oil company called Flying "A", also long gone,from what I remember "white gas" was regular gas,but w/o the additives,esp. lead,it was available at gas stations.He bought it to use in the old Coleman stoves and lamps as the price was much less than the "recommended" fuel and seemed to work just as well.
Gill,

I wasn't speaking of Coleman fuel in the red can. I was speaking of marine white sold at the fuel dock. I don't know that it is still available. I thought fuel docks are exempt from selling corn oil and at the time leaded gas was avaliable.

I may be as old as your father. Rag me about being older than dirt. My father worked for Texaco at one time. Not sure I think flying A and Texaco may have been the same co. with the Pegasus logo?

Roger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard