Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 06:58   #61

Re: Etiquette for a bad outboard repair shop?

If I run untreated gas in my outboard it won't idle after 2 weeks. With stabilizer in the fuel it does not have that problem
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 17:03   #62

Boat: Albin Trawler 40'

Many Internet posts on this problem spanning the range of manufacturers of small outboards. Personally, I have followed the advice of those who say run the engine dry after every use and use an external water separating filter. Even then, a carb removal and cleaning is in order maybe twice a year. This entails soaking the dismantled carb in cleaner, not a spray. Replacing the carb is around $100. or so and might be a good yearly maintenance item.
My lawn mower is more forgiving, but the emission standards seem to dictate a smaller idle jet which is very easy to throw out of spec with a few deposits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 17:25   #63
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have a Honda 4 stroke 2.5 hp and a Johnson 6 hp 2 stroke. I also went to Harbor Freight and bought a small ultrasonic cleaner with a heating element.

On the Honda it takes maybe 10 min to pull carb. Put the pieces in the cleaning tank with Simple Green and some water. Run cleaner for maybe 20 min and rinse. Blow out excess cleaner with a small air compressor and reassemble. Put carb back and I'm done. Maybe an hour including cocktail. Runs like a champ.

That little ultrasonic has paid for itself many times. All I need to do is keep a few spare gaskets.

The Johnson is a little more work but unless I need lower unit service, I'll take care of it.

Definitely these minor repairs are DIY.

Just make sure there are no left over parts or screws! 😜

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 22:52   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
Here's how it should be when dealing with a professional (let's hope)repair person or shop:State the problem you're having(symptoms) as clearly as possible,don't attempt to give your opinion as to the cause,that's for what you're paying them to do.
DING, DING, we have awinner! As a service electrician (land based) I go to someones house or business.....they tell me this plug dont work.....they think they have a short....Well, it isn't a short, and they didn't tell me the whole story either....they have other receptacles and lights that don't work. Tell the tech the issues you are having....ALL of the issues...this is not a time to have a 20 minute conversation.. it is a business.time is money.... the tech should not have to pump you for info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Always get an estimate. Also you can try ''Craigslist'' for help. They have a ''Services'' section and always a link to small engine repair. There are so many people out there that are talented at this stuff. Find one who will show you what to do, it isn't that hard. Or ''YouTube''. I find that the term ''Professional'' is over-rated. So is ''Marine''. About any lawnmower repair shop could do the job for you at a fraction of the price.
Be carefull of craigslist! Some of those people are scumbags and are out to make a buck no matter how unscrupulous they are.....ALWAYS use a reputable shop! Sure you can find talented people....but they don't advertise for free on craigslist because it isn't allowed.....trust me.....you and I can get together, you post and add, and within 2 hours I could have it removed because it violates their rules. Sure you can repost, and have another person report it and have it removed, only to have you repost it....how could you afford to repost it? Simple....you do not have enough business to keep you busy because you rip people off and have a bad reputation or you are not a valid business....
Just remember....you wanna be cheep? you get what you pay for...
It's like a certain member of CF who bought paintings for 80 bucks, and put then in an 80 buck frames and resold them for 1500 bucks....he now wears a rolex, has a half million dollar house, and a yacht and complains about prices people charge.....I have had people like him as a customer....he thinks I should be living in a slum and eating out of a dumpster....People who advertise services on craigslist are NOT the people you want servicing you!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 02:37   #65

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

My mercury 4 two stroke idleling got worse and worse over a 6mth period untill it would not idle but would run at high revs. Pulled carby apart there are two jets the idle one is well hidden, it was severely blocked , air would not unclog it, I got a peice of multistrand fishing wire trace and pulled 1 strand of that and this cleaned the jet perfectly motor now runs like a dream.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard