Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 23:43   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Enough cooling water?

Hello Cruisers,

We had a ride on a friend's boat today and something I saw worried me a little. When they started the cold engine it took at least fifteen seconds before there was any noticeable water flow from the exhaust and what flow there was was less than a cupful at a time every five or ten seconds. Later when we were returning to the pen there was no cooling flow at startup till they gave the engine a bit of a rev.

The water coming out seemed quite sooty too.

The engine is some kind of small diesel about 12 hp from memory. Single pot but very smooth under power. Did not get to see if ithad a temperature gauge so do not know how the temperature was under way but the engine was only used for ten minutes or so each direction so heat buildup would have been minor.

I was about to say something when I realised I know nothing about what is normal for such an engine. This combined with the fact that it is an all girl boat makes me worried about coming across as a patronising male jerk so I stayed quiet. (There was just a tiny bit of gender based tension on board)

But I am worried about it. Our raw water flow is much much greater and we have flow from the exhaust within seconds of starting the engine. Also the sootiness of the water seemed strange.

In summary I FEEL like they have a very worn impeller and it is close to non functional.

Help. Should I say something?

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 02:02   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Enough cooling water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Help. Should I say something?

Matt
No, unless you are qualified to say something. Different boats, different installations, different symptoms. Unless (of course) you are an experienced marine mechanic/engineer who can add some valued knowledge.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:10   #3

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
No, unless you are qualified to say something. Different boats, different installations, different symptoms. Unless (of course) you are an experienced marine mechanic/engineer who can add some valued knowledge.
WTH?

So to be politically correct, you just don't say anything? So just let the engine overheat and cause damage because you didn't think you were qualified to ask a question? Are YOU qualified to make THAT statement?

Maybe asking the question DOES add value!

There's nothing wrong with asking about stuff. Any stuff......... It's how we learn.

To not speak because of gender bias is another matter altogether.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:15   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'DAy Matt,

What I would do is simply to say "I notice that not much water is coming out. Is that normal? Might need a look at the pump..."

No gender pressure, no assertiveness, should be no issues... and they might even appreciate the heads up!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-01-2014, 02:17   #5
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
WTH?

So to be politically correct, you just don't say anything? So just let the engine overheat and cause damage because you didn't think you were qualified to ask a question? Are YOU qualified to make THAT statement?

There's nothing wrong with asking about stuff. Any stuff......... It's how we learn.

Good God. Go back and READ AND COMPREHEND. Nothing PC about saying to someone not to give technical advice unless you know what you're talking about. Mind you, this forum seems to thrive on that precept. Feel free to flame me from your ivory tower of knowledge, I'm off to bed.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

My one of my 3ym30 Yanmar's started doing it this season.

I thought it was exhaust elbow...so I cleaned it. (no change)

So i let it be, as my engine is fresh water cooled.

Then I started one day and just the slightest water after revving.

So I took out the impeller...it was perfect.

Had my girl start engine while i was in the engine bay, and it was a loose belt.

Tightened it up...and had good water now
Greasepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:21   #7

Or...you could just be a putz and not say anything at all.
Now there's a good idea and bit of advice.

Go to bed, you must be tired.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'DAy Matt,

What I would do is simply to say "I notice that not much water is coming out. Is that normal? Might need a look at the pump..."

No gender pressure, no assertiveness, should be no issues... and they might even appreciate the heads up!

Cheers,

Jim
Geez Jim, I wish it were that simple.

I did actually say almost exactly that initially (sorry, didn't make that clear in my initial post), and got shouted down by one of the more "issue laden" crewmembers on the boat. The problem is the owner is very un-technical, not a confident sailor and is very dependent on her crew. When I said much what you said, before the owner could respond one crew member stated that it was totally normal in a pretty agro way. I just backed down as I didn't want an argument (hence didn't say any more), but I feel the owner is being misled.

Seriously, the hackles were up with the crew members from the moment I stepped aboard, and they all sailed together for some time. I would have been more confident in the knowledge of that particular crew member if she did not refer to the lines as ropes, talked about left and right instead of port and starboard, and performed three jibes without once warning anyone of the impending boom crossing.

My wife firmly stated that she would never sail on the boat again as we were driving home. When she asked the crew member at the wheel if she had seen a channel marker which was directly in front of us and obscured by the jib she got a total snarl of a response. It is a pity as the owner is the nicest person you could ask to meet. But there was more agro on board than I have seen on any all male racing boat.

I will talk the owner when I find a chance, but I did not see any reason to raise the tension any further at the time without first knowing a bit more. My gut feel says it is too little water but I have never had much to do with this sort of engine, the closest was a 11HP Lombardini but that was years ago. I wondered if maybe it was normal for a more modern small diesel.

Matt
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasepower View Post
My one of my 3ym30 Yanmar's started doing it this season.

I thought it was exhaust elbow...so I cleaned it. (no change)

So i let it be, as my engine is fresh water cooled.

Then I started one day and just the slightest water after revving.

So I took out the impeller...it was perfect.

Had my girl start engine while i was in the engine bay, and it was a loose belt.

Tightened it up...and had good water now
Thank you, I will add this as a suggestion for the owner to check when I find an appropriate moment to mention my concern.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 03:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
WTH?

Yeah, sorry, didn't really phrase the first post correctly. I did say something, but due to the agro I zipped up till I knew a bit more. Less a politically correct thing more a "achieve nothing" situation at the time. But I don't want to get the owner worried about nothing at all, I figured I would find out more first.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 03:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
So if nobody qualified ever gets on the boat, what happens to the owner if something does start to fail? Surely friends are there to offer suggestions and advice, even if the advice is to seek advice?

My concern is that if I suggest she seeks advice, and that advice costs her money when everything was ok, then I am hardly a great friend. On the other hand, if I ignore the thing that concerns me, and she cooks her engine or gets into danger, I have done even more poorly by her.

So I come here for advice, and take my next step from here.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11   #12

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, didn't really phrase the first post correctly. I did say something, but due to the agro I zipped up till I knew a bit more. Less a politically correct thing more a "achieve nothing" situation at the time. But I don't want to get the owner worried about nothing at all, I figured I would find out more first.

Matt
I get it!
I would have done the same.

John
Old 02-01-2014, 03:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
So if nobody qualified ever gets on the boat, what happens to the owner if something does start to fail? Surely friends are there to offer suggestions and advice, even if the advice is to seek advice?

My concern is that if I suggest she seeks advice, and that advice costs her money when everything was ok, then I am hardly a great friend. On the other hand, if I ignore the thing that concerns me, and she cooks her engine or gets into danger, I have done even more poorly by her.

So I come here for advice, and take my next step from here.

Matt
I think that I would rather spend a little money and find out everything is ok than spend a lot because somebody did not mention it too me. I am sure your conversation skills can get around all this with her.

Coops.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I think that I would rather spend a little money and find out everything is ok than spend a lot because somebody did not mention it too me. I am sure your conversation skills can get around all this with her.

Coops.
Hopefully more clearly than I have managed to express myself on this thread so far.

I hereby undertake to not start any more posts using my phone, I am so caught up trying to type on the tiny keyboard I end up writing complete crap, which is how I would summarise my initial post.

Thanks for sticking with me so far, but if anyone has any opinions on the water flow I would be grateful. Sorry, I've let the whole gender thing sidetrack the key issue, which is what do we think is NORMAL flow for a small raw water cooled diesel?

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

'That doesn't sound quite right..'
'No its OK'
'OK, whatever...'
BANG!!!

Mention it to the skipper.... what happens after that isn't your concern.