Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 13:06   #61
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,461
Re: Engineless dinghy?

Quote:
And far contrary to safety conversation, i think it is far safer to have a dinghy with 100% reliable power. Rowing an inflatable is really slow. Rowing against wind is nearly impossible. So a rowing dinghy with or without small motor sounds much safer to me.
100% reliable power?

I've personally broken both oars and rowlocks on dinghies. What about injuring an arm or hand rendering serious rowing impossible? And over the years I have had an equal number of oars and motors stolen (one each). And seriously, few of us can really row into 30+ knot headwinds, especially if the sea state is a bit lumpy. Maybe the self proclaimed super heroes can, but what about mere mortals?

I agree that rowing has some benefits, but lets not get carried away with rhetoric and claims of 100% reliability and the additional safety thus garnered.

Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 16:04   #62
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Re: Engineless dinghy?

Well we can call it a wash?

Ideally whewe go cruising longer term with our kids we'll have sailing dinghy on davits and inflatable with bigger engine. Mre fun for all!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 16:53   #63
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,461
Re: Engineless dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Well we can call it a wash?

Ideally whewe go cruising longer term with our kids we'll have sailing dinghy on davits and inflatable with bigger engine. Mre fun for all!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Now that's a program that I can agree with!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 17:28   #64
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,810
Re: Engineless dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
100% reliable power?

I've personally broken both oars and rowlocks on dinghies. What about injuring an arm or hand rendering serious rowing impossible?
In either case you can scull with a single oar without needing an oarlock and go just about as fast as rowing.
Quote:
And over the years I have had an equal number of oars and motors stolen (one each).
Which would you rather have stolen?

For me I would rather they steal the motor since I have no use for it.
Quote:
And seriously, few of us can really row into 30+ knot headwinds, especially if the sea state is a bit lumpy. Maybe the self proclaimed super heroes can, but what about mere mortals?
I have rowed into 40 knots (working very hard to move half knot forward), but at 45 got blown back in the gusts. This was in wellington harbor, and also had issues in castle point new zealand. Anywhere else seems easy.. in 30 knots I can still go 3 knots against it.
Quote:
I agree that rowing has some benefits, but lets not get carried away with rhetoric and claims of 100% reliability and the additional safety thus garnered.
It's very clear rowing is much _more_ reliable. Nothing is 100% reliable.
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinghy, engine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going Engineless SPCarroll Seamanship & Boat Handling 28 15-06-2011 13:51
Electric Motor for Engineless 40' Ben M-P Engines and Propulsion Systems 27 18-04-2011 04:54
Backing Up in a Slip ( Engineless ) otherthan Seamanship & Boat Handling 1 01-02-2011 17:51
Atolls for Engineless Cruisers . . . pressuredrop Pacific & South China Sea 59 24-11-2010 20:02
Almost 'Engineless' - Need Opinions otherthan Monohull Sailboats 19 17-09-2010 05:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.