Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 11:21   #1

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Engine ventilation

Had to remove the 3" Dorade vents on the rear deck because of saturated core. Filled the holes with glass and epoxy. My question at this point is how much air intake do I need for a 13hp Yanmar? There is no enclosed engine compartment, everything under the cockpit is open. Was thinking of a flat ventilation plate on the back of the rear coming, but not sure if that will be sufficent, or if I even need anything. (There are also two 5" cockpit speakers.)

Thanks,

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:35   #2

The rule is 10-12 CFM per HP.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:38   #3

Boat: 36 gulfstar
Another rule-of-thumb (I actually hate rule-of-thumbs because they seldon work well) is one square inch of non-mechanical ventilation area for every cubic foot of engine compartment. I know you said you didn't have an actual engine comartment, but you will still want to have enough ventilation to keep air moving in the area the engine is in.

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Heh, another "rule of thumb" is to keep the Air intake as far away as practicle from the exhaust so as you don't suck black carbon back into the engine room.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 13:51   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I would think

that the vents were originally put in to help dissipate the heat a little.

On most boats the air will circulate from the aft to the front internally. With the vents on the transom the air would go in those vents (even if they're facing aft) and come out through the gangway, just as mine did before I fully enclosed the motor compartment. I run a bilge blower now with the motor running. If it goes bad I can still pull a cover loose and go back the way it was.

Motors do tend to put off a little oil vapor when running, even if they are new. Personally I would reinstall new vents to allow the boat to breathe. Otherwise you may start collecting a residue on the interior and if someone were down below while motoring, the only fresh air they would get is what the motor is drawing in. Even with a front hatch open the vapors would be working their way out that forward hatch.

Putting a front scoop on the forward hatch will change the direction of flow but it will gather sea spray as well.

One big problem power boaters have is exhaust fumes coming into the cabin area from the rear exhaust ports. Fortunately, sailboats are fairly aerodynamic and scoop away most of the fumes.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 14:37   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Bigger is better!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote