Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 17:42   #31

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu
Re: Engine to Prop Shaft Alignment with boat out of water vs floating?

Mine wouldn't line up at all on the hard. About 3/16 off. Boat was on the hard for 2 years. Anyone says a boat doesn't flex...well. my owners manual recommends checking alignment after rough seas as this could cause enough flex to result in misalignment. Many think alignment is a set and forget but it has to be rechecked several times per year and after certain conditions like very rough seas. I had flex. My boat is a 1973 Morgan with a hull thickness over 3/4 inch in places. Make sure the shaft is watertight, put it in the water then connect the couplet and do the alignment. Check it again after operating the boat for a week or so.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 06:08   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazu View Post
Mine wouldn't line up at all on the hard. About 3/16 off. Boat was on the hard for 2 years. Anyone says a boat doesn't flex...well. my owners manual recommends checking alignment after rough seas as this could cause enough flex to result in misalignment. Many think alignment is a set and forget but it has to be rechecked several times per year and after certain conditions like very rough seas. I had flex. My boat is a 1973 Morgan with a hull thickness over 3/4 inch in places. Make sure the shaft is watertight, put it in the water then connect the couplet and do the alignment. Check it again after operating the boat for a week or so.
I am really surprised a Morgan flexes that much, interesting.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 07:13   #33

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

Quote:
I am really surprised a Morgan flexes that much, interesting.
So was I. I think it was how the yard blocked it that caused the misalignment. Only keel blocks fore and aft and nothing in the center. I was organizing the boat paperwork recently which contains the original manual as well as a set of service bulletins. This is where I found the alignment information and the recommendation to recheck alignment after sailing in rough seas. Who would have thought.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:02   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazu View Post
So was I. I think it was how the yard blocked it that caused the misalignment. Only keel blocks fore and aft and nothing in the center. I was organizing the boat paperwork recently which contains the original manual as well as a set of service bulletins. This is where I found the alignment information and the recommendation to recheck alignment after sailing in rough seas. Who would have thought.
Again that is interesting, I thought Morgans of the era were built like the proverbial "brick sh$t house". I wonder if the manual isn't over kill or if it maybe engine mount related more so than hull flex after rough seas?

Just thoughts from an idle mind. Thanks for the additional info..
Old 20-02-2018, 09:11   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Again that is interesting, I thought Morgans of the era were built like the proverbial "brick sh$t house". I wonder if the manual isn't over kill or if it maybe engine mount related more so than hull flex after rough seas?

Just thoughts from an idle mind. Thanks for the additional info..

A boat is like a woven basket. Regardless of the material it is made of..
The terms supported and suspended are the technical terms.
You can't do an alignment of shaft off the flywheel through a Skeg in the water. But you can't finalise it out of the water unless it's your intent to leave it there.
Yachts twist in a sea with full sail. They are amazing pieces of engineering. Nothing's square level or any other form of geometric norm. But in the main very beautiful. Not dissimilar to my wife
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
A boat is like a woven basket. Regardless of the material it is made of..
The terms supported and suspended are the technical terms.
You can't do an alignment of shaft off the flywheel through a Skeg in the water. But you can't finalise it out of the water unless it's your intent to leave it there.
Yachts twist in a sea with full sail. They are amazing pieces of engineering. Nothing's square level or any other form of geometric norm. But in the main very beautiful. Not dissimilar to my wife
Make sure your wife reads this, it may prove to be to your advantage.

Tags
boat, engine, loa, men, water