Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 18:34   #1

engine stalls

I have a M4 30 in a Catalina 30. More times then not the engine dies when shifting into gear. I raised the rpm but no help. I heard that maybe the shift cable needs to be replaced? Engine runs great except for this problem Any ideas?
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 19:55   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: engine stalls

Hi Brian,
Welcome aboard!
I wouldn't think a cable would be a cause but the tranny sounds like the cooperate.

If possible try cranking the motor while in gear. If it sound hard to turn then I'd be tearing into the tranny.

With it in neutral, try turning the prop shaft by hand. If no go then it could be a number of things causing a restricted rotation.

Check the oil in the trans too. It should be clear. If milky then water has ingressed into the oil.

More details would help with troubleshooting.
Old 10-03-2014, 22:03   #3

Engine turns over and will start fine in gear or out. Shaft is free rotating. I'm looking at maybe injectors? I'm new to diesels so don't know much about them and how thy should sound. Is 900 rpm to high an idle?
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 22:40   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
Engine turns over and will start fine in gear or out. Shaft is free rotating. I'm looking at maybe injectors? I'm new to diesels so don't know much about them and how thy should sound. Is 900 rpm to high an idle?
I would start by looking at your fuel lines. It could be sucking air at one or more fittings. If the lines are old that would be an indicator. Also the fuel filter seal.

To test it get a fuel can and a short new fuel line and then just suck fuel from the can right at the fuel pump. If it still dies then it could be injectors or HP pump timing.

How many hours on the motor and what kind of condition is your engine room?

Tags
engine