Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 06:57   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Engine shut off solenoid

Did a search on solenoids. Didn't find details I was looking for...

I have a cable shut off that is in the cabin which is really inconvenient. I'm looking at a new engine panel anyway and it happens to have an additional button that can be used as a shut off. But I would need a solenoid.

Think I understand the principle, but don't know what exactly the part I need.

Searched Ebay and found several for 20 to 60 dollars. Most were meant for another engine. Also saw some Yanmar ones for $300 but it's for a different engine. Mine is a Yanmar 3HM35F.

So does anyone have an idea of which part I can use?

Thanks
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 19:18   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Engine shut off solenoid

Would an engine shut-off solenoid be specific to a particular model diesel?

https://www.dieselsystemsaustralia.c...solenoids.html

https://www.amazon.com/Yanmar-Shutdo.../dp/B01N0R479K

"Yanmar Fuel Shutdown Diesel Shut Off Solenoid 119233-77932 John Deere Tractor

Price: $36.99
Brand New OEM Replacement, High Quality After Market Part
This Fuel Shut Off Solenoid is for most YANMA /KUBOTA /JOHN DEERE /3 OR 4 CYL. Diesels Generator
Engines: Yanmar engine governor TB235 3TNV88-BPTB2, HYUNDAI R55-5, R60-5
Manufacturer Part Number:11923377932 1503ES-12S5SUC12S 1503ES12S5
Interchange Part Number: 119233-77932

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...-switch.79829/

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 20:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Engine shut off solenoid

May not be perfectly applicable, but many years ago as a kid I made an electric shifter for my drag bike out of a washing machine solenoid.
I connected the 12V that powered the coils to the solenoid, engage solenoid, kills ignition, solenoid grabs next gear, release button bike comes back wide open.
For a fuel shutoff solenoid, you need only a weak solenoid, get one that is too long a throw and just out a spring in line so it can’t hurt anything, just stretches the spring.
So you can roll your own easily if you chose, or of course buy Yanmars at likely a high price.
Or buy a longer cable and continue to shut down manually, just the cable now goes to the panel.

I think I’d go with a longer cable
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 21:23   #4

Maybe a door lock solenoid? Cheap, runs on 12V. Not that I know anything about the subject.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 23:30   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Why not just relocated the shut off cable to the cockpit......

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 00:25   #6

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

It takes a fair amount of current to pull a solenoid in, but not very much to actually *hold* it in. Therefore, a good solenoid designer (like Yanmar) will put a circuit inside their solenoid that switches to a separate (lower current) coil once the solenoid has pulled all the way in. While this is a good practice, it's only really necessary if you're going to hold the solenoid in for extended periods. Since that's not generally the case for a fuel shutoff solenoid (which is what we're dealing with here) you can probably get away with a lesser solenoid than Yanmar's. The fuel shutoff valve should be an arm on the side of the injector pump somewhere. As long as your solenoid can pull that arm all the way & hold it for a few seconds, you should be fine. But you'll also need a bracket to hold that solenoid. Yanmar makes one for that engine, but it only fits their solenoid. It shouldn't be difficult to fabricate a bracket yourself, but it's another hassle.
Old 30-09-2018, 02:16   #7

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I had a fuel shutoff solenoid on my last diesel and didn’t care for it. Over the years I had to replace it once and had a couple issues of some corrosion on the wires that caused it to fail to operate properly. It seemed quite sensitive to any corrosion and resulting voltage drop.
The results was that on more than one occasion, my engine would fail to start and I’d have one more complication to trouble shoot. A cable seems simple and effective to me.
Just my 2cents though....best of luck with the project!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 09:45   #8

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Good information and thoughts guys. Thanks

Funny as I had also decided to just run a cable to the panel back a few months, but then read several posts about the ease of a solenoid. Frankly I ran the throttle and shift cables a couple years ago and it was not a fun job. So the thought of a nice flexible thin wire had some strong appeal. Besides the solenoid seems a little 'cool'. Also if it didn't work at some point it's not the end of the world to go below and turn the fuel cut off manually.

I do agree that a cable is a solid tried and true solution.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 11:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

My 4108 generator uses a 12v pull solenoid to move the injector pump lever to the stop position. My Detroits use a similar system on the governor.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 12:16   #10

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I replaced both my cables with door lock actuators 3 years ago. Ebay has tons of them for like $7 each. Even used the strap material they came with to build a bracket. They have worked flawlessly for 3 years, but cheap enough to carry spares (in case they ever fail).

I was actually interested in how they work since they have an amazing amount of power but draw almost nothing. They are actually a small 12V motor run through a set of gears. Brilliantly simple design.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine