Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 14:15   #1

Engine/Shaft Alignment Tool???

Recently, I met & spoke with a diesel mechanic in Greece along with a co-worker who did lots of interpreting.
They asked me if I had the Shaft Alignment Tool that came with the boat/Yanmar?
When I answered I never saw one on the boat or with engine parts/tools, he seemed surprised.
I asked them to describe and although some understanding was lost in translation - they described a tool that fit over the Shaft and was used to "adjust" the prop/dripless side of the shaft to make sure it was within "spec" (don't ask because he did not go into detail other than to say the rubber boot is peeled back-) BEFORE turning to the transmission side of the shaft to do the usual check/alignment process.
Has anyone heard of such a tool? know the name? seen one in action? used one?
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 14:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Engine/Shaft Alignment Tool???

I've used this stuff........but never on something as small and insignificant as a sailboat engine.

All Shaft Alignment

unless they're talking about a dial indicator to be sure the shaft is running true???
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:03   #3

Not that Technical

Sailmonkey - Thanks for the link & comments
As I mentioned, there was more than a few pieces lost in translation but I got the sense he wanted to make sure that the TAIL end of the shaft - was properly
attached, angled, etc BEFORE doing the usual feeler gauge - engine tango with the front end of the shaft.

The translator & yard manager made it sound like the "tool" was shipped with the Engine when new & "should" be on-board........since I've been through the whole boat & never saw anything even close, the discussion ended there.
So I thought I would ask the experienced & expert gang here.
Old 30-10-2012, 17:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oregon Iron Works 8 Meter Former USN Launch
Engine alignment tool I'm a Yanmar dealer I have never heard nor seen such a thing. Yanmar did make a engine installation tool. It is a tool that used by the builder or engine installer to bed the engine in the boat. It is not sold with the engine it can be bought through a Yanmar dealer. Yanmar makes soft engine engine mounts that settle after run in. Disconnect the shaft from the marine gear then adjust mount nuts till the shaft coupling and the gear coupling are within .005 all the way around the coupling lock everything down and bolt the shaft coupling back together and your done... Good Luck
Barnhard_Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 18:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

he probably meant a comparison guage,for checking parrellel misalignment

like this http://www.vag-data.com/audi100A6/Po...g/V39-0920.png

i normally use a sharpened welding rod with a 90 degree bend attached to the shaft,bent to the meet the edge of the engine coupling as a guide
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 18:45   #6

OK

Barnhard_Marine - thanks for the "expert/insider" comments & advice.
Maybe he was talking about that installation tool you mention because it sounded like they had re-powered some boats in the past. But left them/port a couple of weeks ago, so can't follow-up to clarify.
Thanks too for the alignment tips which I'm familiar with but when he threw the part in about the other end of the shaft, I became very curious.

atoll - thanks for image link - & comments. Although your example sounds like it is on the Engine side of the shaft/coupling. The mechanic was making the point about checking the other end first.

It was almost like he was concerned about length & angle as the shaft attached through the Dripless (or similar) Shaft seals. Since I've never taken one of those apart I have no idea if there is an adjustment to lengthen or shorten (fine tune) a shaft at that end.........Just guessing/wondering based on comments & hands waving.
They were fine gentlemen & the mechanic was just expressing his desire to check everything. It never went further than the discussion.

Appreciate the responses, ideas and suggestions.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:46   #7

Perhaps the issue is that one wants the shaft to be centered in the shaft log and seal. The weight of the shaft, or other issue, may have in resting against the shaft log, flex hose, or side loading the seal.

I have always determined by some means that the shaft is well aligned in the boat before aligning the engine to the shaft. On this boat the shaft has very little clearance inside the log. I'd hate it to be rubbing and banging around in there.

I don't see why a special tool would be required for this.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 10:29   #8

Sounds close

daddle - Thanks for the response
If I take your comment & match to my memory of the translated description of what they were trying to get at - it is very close. It sounded like a sleeve that slid on the shaft down past the rubber boot (he definitely talked about peeling it back - which had me thinking of sea water ) into the connection.

Agree, there is not much "wiggle" room on this boat.

Obviously, it was a technique that he had used in the past (boat/engine make/model was not shared) and wanted to be sure everything was "perfect".

Thanks again
Old 31-10-2012, 11:07   #9

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Just a guess at what they might have been talking about:

If you have a lip type seal there is a plastic protector that needs to be between the shaft and the seal before you move the shaft.

See item "C"

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:46   #10

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Just a guess at what they might have been talking about:

If you have a lip type seal there is a plastic protector that needs to be between the shaft and the seal before you move the shaft.

See item "C"
I also think that this "mounting sleeve" (as Volvo calls it) is what the Greek fellow was talking about.

I heard from one of the mechanics that work with Tim Dabbs in Tortola that he uses a similar tool (which requires moving the seal and letting water in for a little while) to make sure the shaft is aligned to the shaft tube and the bearing (to avoid stress on the shaft) before aligning the engine to the shaft. That sounds exactly what the Greek guy wanted todo, except that the tool comes from Volvo, not from Yanmar.

I thank NahanniV for pointing out that that the owner´s manual of my Volvo shaft seal says that this "mouting sleeve" comes with the seal, hence I do not to make one, just need to get it form the guy who replaced the seal...

c
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:12   #11

NahanniV +11
when I read this post that was the first thing I thought of.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:39   #12
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

If it is a rotating face seal such as a Manebar then you might find it is a gauge to set the depth of compression and check for parallel of the rotor to shaft. Usually come with a new seal package and thrown away after installation.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 17:25   #13

Think we have a winner(s) - BINGO

NahanniV - That image & instructions sound almost exactly what the mechanic was saying.........although I think NoTies added comment (depending on the seal mfg) would complete what I think the mechanic wanted to ensure it was "perfectly" set up before the other end was attached to the engine.
Although #8 in the instructions mentions splitting the seal, I think they mean (c) the sleeve - because otherwise how do you get it off the shaft - unless the Volvo one is different from Yanmar's which has the coupling attached on the engine side.

svlamorocha - your 2nd para is right on point - yeah, maybe they worked on Volvos more than Yanmars and just assumed the tool was the same & would be on board

Thanks to each of You and everyone who shared thoughts, scratched their heads and reflected on what you may have seen/heard.........now I can scratch this off the list of mysteries - although I would like to see one in action.
Noticed that the Instruction sheet sounded like a "dry" install vs the "wet" check that svlamorocha described.

Thanks Again!!!