Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45   #1

Engine Repair Recommendations?

Hello all,
Wondering if you had any recommendations for someone who makes house calls. My Yanmar 2gm20f is turning over but won't start. Tried bleeding the system, but still nothing. I'm at Berkeley Marina.
Thanks!
Jason
jlberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Engine repair recco?

Jason,

Welcome to CF!

Lots of folks from that area... Not sure any are online right now... Thread titles get you the best viewing... I would have suggested "Berkley Marina - Diesel Tech Needed"

If you're willing to work, lets have the gang attack it???
A decently running engine that stops has a 90% chance of a fuel delivery problem...

How did she stop purring???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21   #3

Thanks! And yup, always up for a challenge, although I'm a novice at engine stuff.
Everything was running smoothly, no issues at all. But I injured my shoulder and hadn't been down to the boat in about a month. Tried to start her up and it just wouldn't catch. It's usually VERY good about starting up immediately. So yesterday I went down and bled the system. No help.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Alrighty then...

Problem like I said is most likely fuel delivery...

Or it could be fuel...

Or possibly fuel...
You get the point...

Soooo... is she cranking at the normal "to you" speed?
Checked cutoff/kill mechanisms??? I'm not a Yanni man, but plenty here that know yer exact plant, and it's usual faults...

When you bled, did you get fuel coming out @ the cracked injectors while cranking?

Old 04-08-2014, 15:01   #5

Re: Engine Repair Recommendations?

Yup, checked the kill lever, above and below.
I used the little hand priming lever and got air-free fuel flowing through the first two air release screws, but when I got to the injectors, they're really hard to get to so I was able to get them loose but didn't see much fuel coming out of them. just a little wet.
Old 05-08-2014, 13:31   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlberkeley View Post
Yup, checked the kill lever, above and below.
I used the little hand priming lever and got air-free fuel flowing through the first two air release screws, but when I got to the injectors, they're really hard to get to so I was able to get them loose but didn't see much fuel coming out of them. just a little wet.
Sorry for the delay! The more we bump this, the more others will see it and respond...

First of all, I would bypass your entire fuel system by working out of a jerry can, feed and return...

You need more than a "little wetness" at the injectors... crack em all like 1/2-3/4 turn, Throttle opened at least 25%, and crank on the starter...
Tighten the injector nuts just snug one at a time, something should catch... After she fires, you may crack each open 1/8-1/4, hear the engine slow, and give it a good snug home after...

One of these babies will help if you don't have one...

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20750-Re.../dp/B0009OR98S

This is somethin' you need to know how to do... Many a time I've had to bleed in conditions ranging from less than ideal... To flat out dangerous emergency ... You can do it mang!

PS also search for "2gm bleeding", there should be quite a few hits...

Old 05-08-2014, 21:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As HMRS said crack the nuts at each injector. For the GM, you can pull the decompression levers while cranking/purging the injector lines. It takes at least 45 seconds or more of cranking to purge air in the injector lines. Even if fuel comes out there can be an air bubble in the line. You will want to close the seacock while cranking. Then tighten the nuts, close the decompression levers and open the seacock. and see if it starts, giving 20-30% throttle. If not repeat.

You'll want to check the banjo bolts on the fuel pump and fuel filter for tightness. You can check them for leakage with a paper towel.

If it still does not start, replace the fuel filters and reprime the system again. Also check that the fuel return line is clear and fuel in the tank.

Cree over at the Berkeley Marine Center yard should be able to point you to a good yanmar mechanic.

You can also see if opening one decompression lever at a time and try starting the engine on the opposite cylinder and see if that gets it going. Let me know if that works. Its not a good thing if it starts on one but not both. If your lucky its a bad injector, if your unlucky its rings. My 3GM was very hard starting and that turned out to be broken rings in one cylinder. It would start on two cylinders but not three.

Edit: As it was running well when you last used it, really check the banjo bolts. Mine tend to loosen a bit over time.

Good luck
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jason,

I was hoping for sailorchick to wander into this thread....

A) Because she knows her way around the gm's like nobody's business...

B) Because she's right near you and knows the local resources...

and...

C) Because anything she writes, I can sully it pretty well with innuendo...

Then tighten the nuts, close the decompression levers and open the seacock. and see if it starts, giving 20-30% throttle. If not repeat.

Imma bad man...

Old 07-08-2014, 16:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor;1601197
C) Because anything she writes, I can sully it pretty well with innuendo...

[B
Then tighten the nuts, close the decompression levers and open the seacock. and see if it starts, giving 20-30% throttle. If not repeat.[/B]

Imma bad man...
ROFL, You sir are soooo bad....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 16:40   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
ROFL, You sir are soooo bad....
It's the "repeat" part that got me...

Hope all's well in SC world!

PS Jason... Contrary to what might be said... There is no definitive proof that Yannies function better if the are painted purple and pink... Stand fast man...

Old 07-08-2014, 18:38   #11

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Yes very important to keep your seacock closed. depending on your exhaust system you could flood your engine with salt water If you don't. Also the starter will overheat if you're not careful. I would go about 15 seconds and give it a few minutes to cool down. And I agree its most likely air in your lines. the few times I've had to do it I kept injector nuts cracked until it fired. shut it down, tightened them up, opened the sea cock and was good to go
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 19:16   #12

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

While proper bleeding may get the engine running again, I'm wondering if there might be a problem somewhere that allowed air into the system in the first place. An engine sitting idle for weeks or months should not allow air into the fuel delivery system unless there's something wrong. However, I've never worked on a Yanmar so maybe this is a common problem?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 19:41   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
While proper bleeding may get the engine running again, I'm wondering if there might be a problem somewhere that allowed air into the system in the first place. An engine sitting idle for weeks or months should not allow air into the fuel delivery system unless there's something wrong. However, I've never worked on a Yanmar so maybe this is a common problem?

Fair winds and calm seas.
If the tank is lower then the rest of the system, all it takes is a loose hose fitting for the fuel to drain back into the tank and get air in the system.

If Jason has old fuel lines or inadequate clamping this can happen. Or even a bad o-ring on the fuel filter or banjo clamps loose.

All it takes is the daily hot and cold changes like we have here in the Bay Area for the lines to get stresses and loosen or even crack.
Old 07-08-2014, 22:03   #14

Maybe too late, but Marty Chen who owns Bay Marine Diesel is outstanding. He's very reasonable, and has a mobile shop. He's also a great tutor, who can provide some valuable instruction. He covers the entire Bay Area. He runs an ad in Lat.38.
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jason,

The snowball is growing... Help is here, how ya makin' out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If the tank is lower then the rest of the system, all it takes is a loose hose fitting for the fuel to drain back into the tank and get air in the system.

If Jason has old fuel lines or inadequate clamping this can happen. Or even a bad o-ring on the fuel filter or banjo clamps loose.

All it takes is the daily hot and cold changes like we have here in the Bay Area for the lines to get stresses and loosen or even crack.
sailorchick's experience agrees...
"Edit: As it was running well when you last used it, really check the banjo bolts. Mine tend to loosen a bit over time. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mazza View Post
Maybe too late, but Marty Chen who owns Bay Marine Diesel is outstanding. He's very reasonable, and has a mobile shop. He's also a great tutor, who can provide some valuable instruction. He covers the entire Bay Area. He runs an ad in Lat.38.
Sounds like a real winner Paul... I've found Lat 38 advertisers to be fantastic too...

Tags
engine