Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 17:03   #1

Engine painting fail

Im posting this as a warning.

After removing all rust and paint and getting the engine to bare metal, I decided to use the compressor to blow off any dust. However the compressor did not have a water stop so i was spraying water vapor on the engine without knowing it. Two months later the engine goes rusty. FAIL!

we learn the hard way sometimes.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:16   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Engine painting fail

I don't think it is the water vapor from the compressor. It was the oil mist in the compressor.

Do you use primer and high temp paint?
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:22   #3

No primer just 5 coat of High heat paint.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:27   #4

Are you saying it was wet before painting? if so , your compressor tank is full of water! Oil is a possiblity as mentioned.hard to say really.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:30   #5

VHT paint good for up to 550°c. The engine is a Yanmar YSE8 that had been rusty in the botom a boat for years banging away reliably. Bought it for 600 bucks and it runs like a dream. This engine is for my dads 22ft Mullet boat.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:32   #6

A local used the same paint without any primer and his engine still looks good after two years.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:54   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
Im posting this as a warning.

After removing all rust and paint and getting the engine to bare metal, I decided to use the compressor to blow off any dust. However the compressor did not have a water stop so i was spraying water vapor on the engine without knowing it. Two months later the engine goes rusty. FAIL!

we learn the hard way sometimes.
D, thanks for posting this and sharing the frustration.
Just a thought but the rust is staring perhaps due to other things, such as paint type, etc?
Maybe the engine was not dried enough?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 18:00   #8

I believe moisture was the problem however maybe a primer should have been used? Two months isnt long.
Old 26-02-2014, 18:20   #9

Boat: Traditional 30

Is there water in your bilge? Or other nearby area. Two months sounds more like the engine has been splashed with salt water on some almost regular basis.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 18:24   #10

1. All air compressors should have at least a water trap combined with a regulator. It a safty issue as you can overload you air tools the cheap ones can explode or at least fail. So don't use an air compressor without one. Like the other post side drain the air tank I got 11 bucket from one compressor and I wasn't ever at the place for that job. The bloke bought a air receiver dryer to use with his sensitive equipment and didn't think he needed to drain the air tank. Self main millionaire by the way.
2. We ever I paint an engine I have used high temp paint in a airesole can. Just before I have gone over the block (that is clean) with a propane torch, as you move across the cact iron you can see moisture drying off from the surface. And then while it as still a bit warm I apply the paint, so its warm but not hot enough to burn you or the paint. I have never had a problem. The cast is porous on the outside. Be careful don,t set fire to anything.
3. I would look for a leak or drip maybe. It it generally surface rust all over or just in one area.
QLDGAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 18:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLDGAV View Post
1. All air compressors should have at least a water trap combined with a regulator. It a safty issue as you can overload you air tools the cheap ones can explode or at least fail. So don't use an air compressor without one. Like the other post side drain the air tank I got 11 bucket from one compressor and I wasn't ever at the place for that job. The bloke bought a air receiver dryer to use with his sensitive equipment and didn't think he needed to drain the air tank. Self main millionaire by the way.
2. We ever I paint an engine I have used high temp paint in a airesole can. Just before I have gone over the block (that is clean) with a propane torch, as you move across the cact iron you can see moisture drying off from the surface. And then while it as still a bit warm I apply the paint, so its warm but not hot enough to burn you or the paint. I have never had a problem. The cast is porous on the outside. Be careful don,t set fire to anything.
3. I would look for a leak or drip maybe. It it generally surface rust all over or just in one area.
Thanks. Yeah its its generally surface rust all over.
Old 26-02-2014, 18:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Is there water in your bilge? Or other nearby area. Two months sounds more like the engine has been splashed with salt water on some almost regular basis.
There is a small amoung in bilge from the shaft packing but i dont think it would have splashed on the engine.
Old 27-02-2014, 16:42   #13

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Compressing air brings the water vapor along for the ride. The water vapor in compressed will condense to water, with much of it exiting along with the compressed air.

An air dryer is a great choice to keep water from messing up tools and projects. I use a refrigerated air dryer. I never have any problem w/ water in the air.

Before adding the air dryer I would always have water in the air.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 17:34   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I'm going to go against the grain here. Sounds to me like the motor should have been rinsed with plenty of fresh water then dried rather than just air dusted. My guess is that there was salt residue left on the surface prior to painting. I can't see how the air compressor moisture could have caused grief down the track if it didn't affect the application of the paint originally.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 18:18   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

No primer? No acid etch? Doomed to failure. Can't paint cold metal either. Must be dry and warm. Primer must be applied within 45 minutes of abrasion and final cleaning. Blow all that paint off with a pressure washer and start over.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote