Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2009, 20:07   #1

Engine Oil Quantity & Grade for MD22 P

I have a simple question:
Can anyone please tell me the engine oil quantity (liters or quarts) & grade of oil for an oil change in a Volvo Penta MD22 P in a hot climate? Thanks ...Bob
sybobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 02:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Most V-P engines specify a multi-grade oil in warm climates:
SAE 20/30
I’d ask my dealer:
Dealer locator : Volvo Penta

http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/Vo...0-20-30-40.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 03:52   #3

Engine Oil Quantity & Grade for MD22 P

Thanks Gordy, I sent emails to 2 local dealers, but typically, they don't reply unless they're making money out of you.
And I've also downloaded the workshop manual, which doesn't provide the answers to my question. This engine is new to me and didn't come with owners manual, service book or any info.

Maybe somebody out there can please supply the details as requested?

Thanks again....Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 06:04   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 - Mayero
Send a message via AIM to NDSinBKK Send a message via Skype™ to NDSinBKK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sybobcat View Post
Thanks Gordy, I sent emails to 2 local dealers, but typically, they don't reply unless they're making money out of you.
And I've also downloaded the workshop manual, which doesn't provide the answers to my question. This engine is new to me and didn't come with owners manual, service book or any info.

Maybe somebody out there can please supply the details as requested?

Thanks again....Bob
I'm not sure what is a 22P. I have a 22BL and I'm in the same boat (so to speak) as you, except that I have a manual. The manual calls for 15-40 or 20-50. I am in Thailand and have bought 15-40 (it's all I could find) Shell oil for diesel engines. It specifices 6 liters, though less than 4 came out of mine with the suction hose down the dedicated "bilge" pipe. (That's not the same as the dipstick pipe, I discovered after several hours of messing around with it...)

My problem is that I can't locate a new filter. The part number is 3517857-3 - can anyone tell me where to find equivalent filters to that one?

Tks in advance. OP: If you send me your email address, I can send you a copy of the manual I have. You can also find some of them at the Volvo Penta web site.

Cheers,

Sandy
NDSinBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:09   #5

Oil Filter

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for info . We ended up using 6 ltrs of 15-40 and have already downloaded a workshop manual...thanks for your offer. Sounds like you're in Phuket. If you need to find a new filter I suggest you take the old one for a sample to this shop: G.C.Huat 59/16 Bangkok Road, Phuket.

On the bus route from Ao Chalong, that's about 200 mtrs back from the central roundabout at the market intersection in Phuket Town.

They will match up your filter from large stocks of copies they have there.
Forget about quoting filter numbers....waste of time...it doesn't work with copies. Price should be only be around 100 Thai Baht for a copy.

Good luck....Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 10:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Most synthetic or natural oil with a "C" rating (think "compression") is suitable for a diesel engine. Sometimes manufacturers will push a specific brand but that's nonsense. Check the rating of the oil itself. The higher the rating the better it is going to do its job. Whether you should use a straight grade or a multigrade has been the topic of many debates. Generally though the warmer the climate, the heavier the grade you should use.

I would just fill up the diesel engine 1/2 quart at a time until you see the oil on the dipstick. Run the engine for a few minutes and then shut it down. Then give the oil time to settle back in to the pan and then check the oil level again. Add more oil as necessary until the level is between the Low and High indicators on the dip stick. That's the most certain way of determining how much oil your engine takes.

Be sure to fill up your new filter with oil and wet the rubber gasket with oil before hand tightening it on to the engine.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:58   #7

Boat: Manta 40
If you think you still have 2l left in the engine i would rig up a way to pull the plug to get that out. I have used a section of old water hose (1.5") with half of one end cut out to capture the drips from the pan and then routed the hose to a low point where I could drain it into a bottle. Might as well make that oil change as effective as possible.

Like others have said the oil type is important in that it be diesel rated, if it is a new engine (say 2004 to current) I would check to see if a higher grade oil is recommended. Diesel oil has additives that take care of the crankcase soot and reduce camshaft wear. The higher grade oil will say on the bottle something like "meets specs 505.XX or 507.XX"

The standard 15-40 diesel oil pretty much available everywhere will work in everything it's just a matter of potential longevity (if the other 1 million factors don't intervene in the meantime). The most important factor is regular changes.

If you have one take a caliper along with the old filter to any autoparts store and ask to go in back and match it up.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:13   #8

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
They will match up your filter from large stocks of copies they have there.
Forget about quoting filter numbers....waste of time...it doesn't work with copies. Price should be only be around 100 Thai Baht for a copy.
A little warning here: This Volvo filter has a built in by pass, which means that the engine still gets lube oil even if the filter is clogged.
This by-pass open at a certain pressure:
This is "Baldwins" description of their replacement B1434
Descriptions: Lube Spin-on
Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
20 PSID By-Pass Valve

Same thing with Fleetguards replacement LF3758 ( replacing old number LF3736).

There is no way to know this, by just visually inspecting the old filter. Cheap filter are often cheap for a reason. Any serious filter-shop goes by the number and will sell you a filter compatible with the original Volvo number.

Cummins/Fleetguard has two reps in Bangkok, none in Phuket.
Check their website http://www.cumminsfiltration.com
Phone:662 399 3864
Phone:662 6528 510

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:04   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 - Mayero
Send a message via AIM to NDSinBKK Send a message via Skype™ to NDSinBKK
Thanks all.

I tracked down, via the web, a super Volvo Penta dealer here in Bangkok, Pentamarine. They sent right to the door of my office three genuine Volvo Penta filters, 400B each (about $11) and 300B for the motorcycle delivery.

That's as good as it gets.

In the meantime, I found a Fram site from which I pieced together a list of all the equivalent filters from about 25 makers. Something to keep on file.

Honeywell Consumer Products Group

Suggestions and advice much appreciated, thank you all.

S.
NDSinBKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine