Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54   #1

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Engine oil leaks

I have 27 year old Perkins 4-108 that runs very well (only has 1800 hrs on it). The only problem is that it has several minor oil leaks.
Does anyone have FIRST HAND experience with an additive that might help to reduce or eliminate the leaks?
It does not burn any oil that I can detect....no smoke from the exhaust. I only have to add oil every 50 or so hours. The main reason I would like to reduce or eliminate the leaks is for the mess it makes in the engine bay. ( I do use absorbent pads under the engine)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:07   #2

Re: Engine oil leaks

It's not unheard of with the 4-108 for sure, although I had one that had no leaks. I dont know of an additive. I would wipe the leaks, keep the engine clean and just live with it. Oil every 50 hours isnt too bad, these engines burn a little oil. That or try to determine if some gaskets can be replaced to make it less leak prone, but often the leak looks worse than it is.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08   #3

Boat: Catalina 22

I personally would never add anything to the oil. I would look for the source of the leaks and replace the gaskets. Oil additives are a very temporary fix, and gaskets are cheap.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

We have a rebuilt 4108 (900 hrs). Not sure how old it is. It also leaks. The consist answer I've got from those who claim to know usually goes something like this: "Of course it leaks. It's a Perkins! Don't worry about it."

We carry some pads and extra oil. Add and change as necessary. Great engine (so far). I'd be leery of any additive, particularly one which claimed to seal leaks.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14   #5

I have the same problem with our Perkins 4-154. I end up adding a quart now and then - probably after 100 hours or so - and yes, while it makes a mess in the bilge under the engine, getting under the engine to replace the gaskets would be a huge and extremelydifficult job. I just make sure that EVERY TIME I start the engine - whether it be since last week, or the day before, that I check the levels of oil, coolant and trans fluid.

I have also been told by more than one Perkins' owner, that this is the nature of those engines. They simply leak. They are workhorses, and as long as you keep them filled, they perform. I would keep my eye on it to make sure it doesn't become more serious, but not worry too much. Good luck. gchabs
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

They can and do leak! BUT they be cured of leaking with constant and careful replacement of gaskets and careful torque readings when replaceing the gaskets !more leaks are caused by over tightening of bolts then you might believe!! They are also prone to seal leaks if misalined with the prop shaft! at least thats been my experince with perkins over the years! just my 2 cents, also the use of GOOD adheisive on the gaskets helps !!
Old 06-08-2012, 20:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Install a Walker Air Sep. I have heard that it helps a lot.

Walker Engineering - How It Works
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 21:56   #8

I too have an '86 vintage 4-108 that leaks oil. Added about a quart in 40 hrs. It is a rear seal. The motor has about 1,200 hours and runs perfectly pushing our 20,000 lb 50 year old yawl. Oil makes a mess but I hear the same story, they leak. I wonder what the failure mode is??? Will there be a sudden loss of more oil at some point?
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leaks, oil